Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Arm Design

Posted by bunbun 
New Arm Design
February 20, 2014 04:02AM
I am currently designing a new style 3D printer using single arm for X and Y axis. Do anyone see any similar deisgn before or any comments on this?
Attached is my preliminary design.
Attachments:
open | download - Basic Concept v3.jpg (155.1 KB)
Re: New Arm Design
February 20, 2014 12:12PM
Are you going to write your own firmware and software to drive it?

confused smiley
February 20, 2014 07:51PM
That firmware won't be bad.

I haven't seen anyone implement that geometry.

Things that need to be focused on will be arm droop and z lift.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
February 21, 2014 02:17AM
Ya, mostlikely modify Marlin firmware to control the arm. May study the firmware from Morgan. The formula should not be complex.

Arm drop will is what I am considering too. But every will need to be implemented and fixed.

My concept is building a really simple printer. Hopefully it require fewer parts and in small size.
February 21, 2014 12:49PM
To minimize arm droop, you could always add a tension line like going from the end of the arm to a point somewhere above the point of rotation. This would be similar to the line that goes out to the end of a boom crane.

The momentum of the arm, especially when the carrier is at the end, could be a problem though. If you try to rotate it back and forth rapidly (like on infills), it may be hard for the gears, pulleys, etc. to cope with the rapid change. Just something to think about.

I think this design would be very fun to watch, and really, it is quite quite simple as far as the kinematics go. Its strictly a cylindrical coordinate system, which is easily converted from Cartesian coordinates.
A2
February 21, 2014 01:11PM
Idea:
Instead of using a mass for the boom crane, create a tensor using a stepper motor with a pretensioned cable.
You could even preprogram it to control for the catenary drop.
February 21, 2014 02:17PM
A2
Idea:
Instead of using a mass for the boom crane, create a tensor using a stepper motor with a pretensioned cable.
You could even preprogram it to control for the catenary drop.

Picture please confused smiley
A2
February 21, 2014 02:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 02:36PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_446 Feb. 21 14.20.jpg (59 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_447 Feb. 21 14.23.jpg (117.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login