Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SCARA 3d printer - V3

Posted by PavloG 
SCARA 3d printer - V3
May 06, 2016 08:58PM
Hi Everyone
Let me introduce my new SCARA based 3d printer (actually this is this version 3)

Video: 100+ mm/sec test run
Video: Printing Gear

Schematic view:

ZMin end-stopper

Half assembled

Arms endstoppers

Print quality - 0.3 nozzle

OpenScad (use scarav3.scad)
Firmware - Marlin

Thanks for your feedback...any suggestions, critique and discussion is appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 09:13PM by PavloG.

My blog
Re: SCARA 3d printer - V3
May 08, 2016 09:58AM
is it better to move the arms up and down instead of the build plate? thinking of designing a scara and building a second printer my self
May 08, 2016 11:23AM
2 prev designs were made with moving table.
Just to compare my "moving platform" vs "moving arms" seems like "moving arms" is better.

I like "moving arms" because of:
  • Simple design and mechanics
  • Detachable platform - easy to exchange to other or just pack for transportation

Not a lot - but enough for me.

My blog
May 12, 2016 04:55AM
Hi Pavlo,

nicely done ! I really like the parallel shifting arm setup and the vertical linear stage!

Also, it´s nice to see your great software still holds the superb Fivebar config...! ;-)

Kind regards,
Mike

(reminds me again to finish 2 parts.... :-/ )
May 12, 2016 05:07AM
Thank you.

Note:
About FIVE_BAR or SCARA_TYPE 2
It is suported, but it may be broken (i just left old code but some artifacts may appear)
Last stable version (with fivebar tested) limited by changelist - 8e789cd9eb17dd5e8e8ee45dbc814715ddcb8e36 (11 Aug 2015)
May 12, 2016 07:13AM
Ah, that´s good to know. I will try anyway! ;-)

When thinking about your parallel shifting arms...have you ever considered setting up a Printer built like a palletizing robot arm?
With your current software implemented inverse kinematics it should not be that difficult (at least for you...).
May 12, 2016 09:30AM
Yes.
My arms block can be converted to palletizing robot arm - just rotate on 90deg plus add extra arm to constraint end effector to be perpendicular to the ground, then add rotation axis or ever leave as it.
June 06, 2016 06:14AM
Hi! Nice printer smiling smiley Why not going two arms instead of parallel arms? It seems to me a more elegant mechanism and more easy to be covered and hide arms, wires ,etcc How about tip dropping? Do you have to compensate XY or does it print OK in all printing area? Thank you so much! I am going to design a single arm scara printer in a couple of weeks smiling smiley cheers!
June 06, 2016 06:43AM
Two arms(canonical scara) or parallel (my) arms mechanically the same. (of course if i correctly understood your terminology)
You may drive second arm by belt or stepper placed on the end of first arm.
In case of stepper - it should be very strong, acceleration and speed will be decreased due to the mass.
In case of belt - i don't see problems, but parallel arms were chosen (as for me it is a little bit stronger)

I don't do any XY compensation. Print quality is enough for me, i use him as a my primary printer.
My printing area started from 50mm (in Y coords), but in coordinates less 50 i saw some problems.
June 11, 2016 04:52PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login