Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering up Sanguinololu 1.3 board with laptop power

Posted by HJ 
HJ
Powering up Sanguinololu 1.3 board with laptop power
December 20, 2012 08:20AM
Hi folks, I'm trying to power up my Sanguinololu 1.3 board using a laptop power adapter supplied in my kit.

I have a Longboat Prusa kit, and I had the same question as this RepRapper.

So after reading that thread, I cut away my laptop power connector (picture attached), grouped the 2 different bunch of wires together. I wanted to see which is the positive/negative terminal so I tested with my multimeter but nothing happens.

Also, I accidentally cut away the ferrite choke.

Please help me with these 2 questions:

1. Am I doing it right in grouping the 2 bunch of wires together?

2. Is it ok to cut away the ferrite choke?

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - laptoppower.jpg (407.7 KB)
Re: Powering up Sanguinololu 1.3 board with laptop power
December 22, 2012 08:42PM
Hi HJ,

After cutting and grouping it, does it have any voltage reading on the multimeter when you power it on? Usually the one with white insulator is Positive (+) and the other is Negative (-). Laptop Adaptor voltage can range between 19 ~ 21 V, 1.5 ~ 3.25A depending on the Models. So you might wanna check the voltage first to see if its working.

Btw, does you Sangiunololou board came with a Voltage Regulator allowing voltage 7~30V else would need a 5V and a 12V supply. So you might wanna check which Sanguinololou Board you're using.

[reprap.org]

Yes it's ok, Ferrite Choke is to filter out stray electrical noise, you can just use those snap-on type of Ferrite choke if u wish but not compulsary. Hope I've answered your questions..

Handi
HJ
Re: Powering up Sanguinololu 1.3 board with laptop power
December 28, 2012 11:22PM
Handi, thanks for your advice. I manage to power up the board now.

Also, I'm short of a thermistor for the heated bed. Since I am just going to print with PLA, I am thinking if it's possible to do without heating up the bed. What do you think?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login