Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First 3D printer

Posted by duckiemama 
First 3D printer
June 02, 2013 08:23AM
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a 3d printer
Is it cheaper and time efficient to find individuals parts or buying the kit?
Re: First 3D printer
June 02, 2013 12:44PM
Hi duckiemama,

DIY ownself can be fast if you know where to get the standards parts (frame,screws,belts,pulley, etc), the electronics (motors, resister,etc can try r-s or element14 etc),
For, Non standard parts such as the nozzle, heater blocks, control board, you need to either physically build one or order.

Else i recommend you to buy the kit, more easy to get started. =)

Here are some local (SG) sites to start with.

[romscraj.com] ( this is where i got my initial kit from)
[shop.sgtooling.com] (they sell the maker bot replicator)
[pirate3d.com] ( they just launch a kickstarter campaign for their printer, can try if u can take risk and have time to wait)
[3dprinters.com.sg] ( they sell Up!3d printer, i think one of the better (or best) out of the box printer, but i feel the price is steep)

Gd luck on your quest!

Cheers,
Cy
June 02, 2013 05:03PM
I would recommend buying a kit from the guys at romscraj. Great components and support!
In theory you could save a few dollars by ordering all your stuff separately but when you take shipping into account and the risk of parts not being compatible with each other, is it really worth it ?

Good luck
June 02, 2013 08:13PM
Hi congyan and bigfilsing,

Thank you for the advices. I also think that buying a kit is much more easier.

Another noobie question
What is the total volume that a 1 kg of filament able to print?
June 02, 2013 08:58PM
I can honestly say i have no idea ........but its a lot :-)
June 05, 2013 06:38AM
Yes, FWIW i feel it's worth it.

I did the price math for sourcing items separately, vs the openbeam kossel pro (which looks incredible btw), vs the rostock max from seemecnc.

Overall, I concluded that if I have no intention to ever upgrade the base parts of the rostock max kit, the kit will only at best be price competitive against sourcing items separately.

However, if I do upgrade and get better parts, e.g. get all metal hotends, carbon arms... you will easily run up the overall cost and be buying extra parts that would be shelved from the kit.

Therefore, I've decided to simply dive straight into getting the upgrades (Azteeg X3 1/32 stepper, E3D Hotend with Bowden, EZStruder, 288mm traxxas arms) so I won't end up having to buy these upgrades to replace the ones from the kit. In that sense one might say that I am starting and improving my first 3d printer at the same time?

I cannot account for the openbeam kossel pro since it is not out yet, but the release date is too far away from me, although from pictures it seems like it would be a better deal opposed to sourcing separately in that case.

I was looking at the romscrag MOB 3d printer for a long time but alas i decided the print area was not sufficient for my needs. If I ever go for a cartesian style though, I would be sure look at it again.

bigfilsing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would recommend buying a kit from the guys at
> romscraj. Great components and support!
> In theory you could save a few dollars by ordering
> all your stuff separately but when you take
> shipping into account and the risk of parts not
> being compatible with each other, is it really
> worth it ?
>
> Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login