Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap, Singapore

Posted by xiang hui 
RepRap, Singapore
January 05, 2010 02:49AM
hey i'm a university engineering student and i'm currently doing my internship that involves 3d printing. I'm interested in making one of these RepRap printers! is there anywhere i can start with? like parts for example? anybody could tell me if those parts that need to be purchased wld be available from my region (southeast asia, i'm singaporean.)?

thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 02:30PM by SebastienBailard.
Re: RepRap, Singapore
January 05, 2010 02:34PM
[Thread forked by me.]

xiang hui, you can buy a makerbot all in one kit, but shipping from New York City to Singapore will be somewhat high. Makerbot is currently the best store
for electronics and filament. People in the forum sell extruder head
parts. You can source stepper motors in Singapore, I'm sure.

What is your budget? Do these look good?
[shop.sgtooling.com]
[shop.sgtooling.com]

Or this?
[solsylva.com]

What is your tooling like? CNC router, laser cutter, etc? Table saw?
3 axis Mill?

Are you going to want a machine with a cutting spindle, or do you just want to print?
January 07, 2010 08:58PM
Sorry for taking a long time to reply again. I looked at the websites you attached. My understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) of making a DIY RepRap requires only basic tools like screws and screwdrivers and maybe hammer at best to put those parts together? And i'm recommended to buy a Makerbot. Any idea how much it would cost? What about the free parts as mentioned in the main thread where i'd read abt open source parts?

My budget is definitely tight, in Sg dollars not more than a thousand max, though i think if it's worthy of a Final Year Project i could get more? If a RepRap is customizable then i presume i could make mine with its own functions? what about the programming required?

Regarding tooling, sorry but i'm lost at the question. do u mean like do i wan to make mine a laser cutter or table saw? i believe the final product is basically a 3d printer? I dun have any of the tools u mentioned and i have no idea what's a CNC router. pls enlighten thanks!
January 07, 2010 09:46PM
$1000 singapore is $715 American. So it's going to be tight. Likely this is the best way for you to go...

Purchase the Makerbot Electronics kit ($175)
Download the lasercut Darwin designs
Call around to the local places that have laser cutters (universities, etching companies, trophy shops, sign shops). Look for the lowest price to cut the plastic, or preferably somewhere that will let you work off the use of the laser.
That leaves you only have to get belts, motors, and wires, all of which you should be able to source locally for not too much money.

If you want to see what a lasercut (Ponoco) Darwin looks like, look at the [www.bitsfrombytes.com], it's basically the same thing, but proprietary.

If you are smart about it you could have a pretty rad 3d printer for less than it costs to buy a Makerbot.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 08, 2010 12:04AM
xiang hui

???make mine a laser cutter or table saw???

I meant, what tools do you have right now? If your university has a laser cutter, you can use it. If your university has a table saw, you can use it. Once the technician who is in charge of the room is happy. I did not mean "you need to make a laser cutter". smiling smiley

Does your university has a woodworking shop, or a metalworking shop? Does it have a laser cutter? These are the questions you need to ask yourself, and your mentor.

Here is a RepStrap made from wood:
[pingiscoolest.blogspot.com]

It is not on the wiki, but maybe it should be. You will probably need a handsaw, a drill, and a good measuring tape. (But you really want to use a 'miter saw' aka a 'chop saw'.)

It is cheap to make, and you'll learn a bit about about woodworking.

Since your funds are limited, I would suggest making one out of wood. This one looks well made.
[bodgeitquicktools.blogspot.com]
It is not on the wiki, but should be.

This one is made from square metal tube. (Either tube with holes, or you drill a few holes.) There is zero documentation right now, so you do not want to make one.
[dev.forums.reprap.org]

Or you can buy an expensive sherline aka expensive instant machine hardware, and concentrate on writing cool software.

re. RepRap = Free?

Well, these are other free hardware projects.
[en.wikipedia.org]

We put all the plans away for free, and people are free to do what they want with them, subject to certain limitations, like
[en.wikipedia.org]

But we do not have a large enough population of machines making repraps so cheap that we can give them away for zero dollars, or even the cost of the components.

These are possible colleagues who will have been thinking about laser cutters and 3D printers.

hackerspace.sg

If you want, you can organize a group buy of a makerbot or sherline, and keep it at the club. hackerspace people often buy an expensive laser cutter as a group.

Short version: ask your thesis advisor:
What the important part of the thesis/report? Is it "design a new machine"? Is it "learn to use a metal lathe and a mill"? Is it "Build a machine out of wood using hand tools and make good documentation and plans"? Is it "buy a kit/machine and work on software"?

Each of this is important, and you will learn a lot. But you want a simple well defined problem to begin with. Like "Build a machine out of wood using hand tools and make good documentation and plans". Most likely: "Learn Fabrication Fundamentals".

Best: "Design a ceramic slurry head" or "Design a pick and place head for SMD electronic components."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 12:54AM by SebastienBailard.
xiang hui
January 10, 2010 10:56PM
Thanks a lot! lemme ask my mentor. i'm in yr3 now only..
February 25, 2010 04:21AM
Hey Xiang Hui,

so did you manage to start on it?

Tian Chang
March 15, 2010 01:24AM
Hi, Tian Chang. I am trying to find people interested to build RepRap in Singapore Can you drop me your contact number or email to have an idea each other plan. Regards, smiling smiley
March 15, 2010 10:21PM
Singapore RepRap User Group
To:
SebastienBailard
Date: 03/15/2010 06:53AM

Hi Sebastien,
I am Soon Wei from Singapore. Happen to see some of your messages. I just meet Xiang Hui few hours back. I would like to start a Singapore RepRap user group and start to build the First Singapore RepRap. (If we are?) FYI, I am an Elec Electronic Enginer and use afew Atmel MCU b4 so that is not a big issue. I should be able to source for the raw mech material except the RP connectors... I have access to a small lathe, but i forsee the 0.5mm on the barrier making is a challenge. Aha too excited and forgotten my goal. Possible to start a RUS for Singapore. Thanks in advance.

-Soon Wei

No problem. Good luck and happy RepRapping!

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 19, 2010 12:02AM
FYI, I have meet up with Tian Chang last night. Both of us has plan to make 1. Next time I will get all 3 of us to meet. Cheers. Thanks for the support.
July 05, 2010 02:18AM
Hi,

Guys I was going through your discussions, thought i could use a bit of help from you guys;
Our company imported the makerbot kits for CupCake CNC and Plastruder MK4 for building prototyping machines, we needed help assembling the thing.

If you guys can help us with itd be great, else if you can guide me with some professionals who can do the job itd be really helpful,

You can ring me or mail me

Look forward to your replies

Regards
Ali Zaheer
July 20, 2010 09:12PM
wow, interesting.
July 20, 2010 09:13PM
i'd like that one too.
December 05, 2010 09:36AM
Hi, everyone I'm thai props maker ,I'm very interresting about REPRAP .And i've just start to build it by my hands .i made it from Plaswood .Let you see my RP part at this [www.facebook.com] .i'm try to looking for the Printing Materials in thailand.but i don't know how to get it in thai .
(sorry about my bad language)
RepRap, Singapore
March 16, 2011 08:15AM
HI All,
Is there anyone owns a RepRap in Singapore.. I'm really interested in RepRap and dreming to own one..
May 29, 2011 09:05AM
May 29, 2011 09:04PM Registered: 1 year ago
Hi ALL,

I am trying to organize a/the First Reprap Meetup in Singapore, Anyone who is interested please contact me.
hp. 8.4.9.8.1.8.7.6

Cheers,
Lucus
June 01, 2011 09:49AM
Hi all,

I am also from singapore looking to build the reprap.

Has anyone tried to compute if it is cheaper to get the hardware kit from overseas, or to purchase them across the island or from RS/Element14(previously farnell)? Assuming that there is no access to any spare parts to salvage.

In addition, anyone knows where to get the filament apart from shipping from overseas yet?

If anyone has a working reprap, if you are willing, could I purchase a set of the RP parts from you? Please drop me a mail to contact me!

Regards,
gz
September 14, 2011 10:45AM
Hi geezee,

I'm also looking at building a reprap and currently doing my homework.
What have you been able to come up with so far?

I will probably buy the mechanical parts for prusa and extruder online, with the bearings, belt and springs included, as i have very limited access to tools at the moment and it is the easiest path to have a working printer. Which is very valuable to me, as it should become my main tool..

Ive done some calculations too as to buy the electronics in a kit or try to buy things separately locally cheaper, but im finding that the complete DIY RAMP kit, unsoldered from ultimachine seems to be a pretty good deal. broke it down into the different parts, but i cant really improve enough on the price to justify the hassle of scavenging everything together..

I will try to see if I can source the stepper motors locally though. (Did someone find some at a good price yet?, any hints? I'll probably just visit sim lim tower and see what i can find)

And Im not sure yet what to do for the hot end.. It seems a pretty expensive part to buy,I need to do a bit more research first. If I can find a more economical way to building one myself i probably will give it a go. Im just a bit worried about finding insulation materials and drilling that nozzle hole..

Im probably going to ship some PLA filament from ultmachine when/if i buy the electronics kit.
Let me know what you come up with!

Regards,
Wauter
October 15, 2011 03:46PM
Hi Guys,

I'm from Thailand (Phitsanulok).

I'm thinking of start building the Prusa soon and now just putting everything on the paper, researching and trying to find the best and affordable solutions to do this... If I finish it then by the end of February-March I will have to sell it. I will sell it here or on the ebay (any alternative for asia???)

For now my plan is to get most of the lightweight parts of the ebay and all of the metal parts from the local retailers.

I'm looking for somebody in Thailand to get the plastic parts from. Please, if anybody has this opportunity to print parts for me in Thailand or any nearby country at an affordable price DO contact me or better post here so this would help others as well.

And for future if any of us has any updates or anything to talk about POST HERE - any success or opposite FAILURE will make things much easier for others. I bet many of you who visited this forum before have already finished their RepRaps so PLEASE post your stories here. Write about your part suppliers and share your experience.

I will update you here on my project. I will start building/buying in November.

Regards
Stas
Hi, anyone with experience with ultimaker?
October 18, 2011 03:05AM
Hi, anyone has experience with ultimaker 3d printing machine? or just generally home brewed 3d printing technology. I'm trying to understand the Gcodes and how this whole open source system works. will be great if anyone knows something about it.

thanks
jun yuan
Re: Hi, anyone with experience with ultimaker?
October 30, 2011 01:11AM
Hmm... I'm a newcomer as well. Ordered a kit from makegear and assembled it. Got it to finally print something but of course the result is less than ideal. Looking back printing stuff is not for the faint of heart... lots of google research... finding different combinations of toolchains that work etc...
November 08, 2011 01:46AM
Hi there,

Fellow Singaporean here. I've only started reprapping recently with my eMAKER Huxley.

After a month of tinkering, finally having good consistent results with printing ABS. I have a small blog here:
[arkangel.mechaworks.org]

Hope to meet you guys in the future! smiling smiley
HJ
November 08, 2011 03:15AM
hi guys, any news on the Singapore RepRap meet up? please let me know if there's a forum/website etc....i'm kind of clueless about where to get electronic parts in Singapore.

I've been thinking about getting a MakerBot....but i'm also considering making a RepRap.
December 02, 2011 03:03AM
I will start a new thread for a Meet Up group for Reprap. Apology if my call is a bit messy as my work has being busy these few months. Anyway do check the Singapore RUG for the NEW MEETUP topic.

CHEERSsmileys with beer
June 23, 2012 06:33AM
Hi there all,

greetings and well wishes... i am new to all this... just ordered a RapidBot from makemendel.com... and am very eager for it's arrival... i hv also ordered some filaments from them and i am wondering if any of you guys out there know where i can get both ABS and PLA filaments in singapore... pls reply to theworldvsme@hotmail.com... thanks in advance all... cheers

Mike
June 25, 2012 03:47AM
you can get filament from us at romscraj.com

KP
August 11, 2012 04:06AM
sooooo ..... there are reprappers in SG !!!
August 11, 2012 04:11AM
romscraj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you can get filament from us at romscraj.com
>
> KP

your webstore is in SGD /USD ?
August 13, 2012 11:17AM
usd
January 20, 2013 01:36AM
Hi,guys,

Sorry to bother you.

I have noticed that you are searching for a material source for abs.pla filament.
we are pla,absfilament manufacturer in China,with high quality and competitive price.so many color and spec offer here.
meanwhile we are the supplier of makerbot in China.

call me if any request.

mail:[email protected]
www.ecoreprap.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login