Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprappers in Portland Oregon

Posted by Tom Frisch 
Reprappers in Portland Oregon
August 31, 2010 12:55AM
Are there any Reprappers in Portland Oregon? If so, we'd love to buy you beers, and exchange war stories about our repraps. We've got access to a metal lathe and CNC milling machine, so could assist you with some parts if need be.

Give us a shout.

-Tom
Re: Reprappers in Portland Oregon
September 02, 2010 09:41PM
Tom, I've moved this thread to the Portland RUG forum. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 09, 2010 06:50PM
Hi Tom, I'm in Hillsboro. I have not yet started on a RepRap, but am thinking I've put it off too long.

Chris
Going to be making a RepRap. I live in Lafayette (between McMinnville and Newberg). Was working with Shapeways until they said they couldn't build any of my designs anymore, due to some unresolvable technical issues (weirdness). Used to have an ABS rapid prototyper of my own in Nevada, years back, ran on windows 3.1. I'm all for getting these things as common as inkjet printers.
I'm leaning toward buying a MakerBot to make the parts I need for the RepRap machine. Plus I have a bunch of things I can print on the MakerBots small build area already. Now all I need it about $1000 of extra money lying around. Might take a couple of years but I'll get there.
September 18, 2010 09:19PM
I plan on building a Mendel next week. I know that brainsilo has plans to build one, also I hear there are a couple people that go to dorkbot that have some, though I haven't been to one of their gatherings yet.
September 22, 2010 05:43PM
Missed seeing this. I have a Huxley in the process of being built. Need to hookup the electronics and do the testing yet. Live in SE Portland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 05:45PM by Duaner.
October 31, 2010 07:43PM
A friend of mine and I are looking at building a Mendel and could surely use some help/advice/whatever! I seem to be having a hard time finding some of the raw components online (been looking for the PCB required, apparently Makerbot only sells fully assembled boards now =\)

Anyways drop a line here, I'd be happy to buy a round of beers for some help with the best way to get this thing started!
Carson Welch
November 17, 2010 02:54AM
Hello all Portland RepRap'rs,

I'm relatively new to the Portland area, and about 65% done building my Mendel. I'll be at the Bagdad Pub tomorrow, Wed Nov 17th, for a beer or two while my wife's at a knitting class. I'd love to meet some of my fellow Makers. Anyone who is building, wants to build, or has finished, is welcome! Can't wait to see some people there!

I'll be the guy wearing a blue shirt with a cartoon skull that says "I live inside your face."

Cheers!
Carson

Ryan Bankhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Going to be making a RepRap. I live in Lafayette
> (between McMinnville and Newberg). Was working
> with Shapeways until they said they couldn't build
> any of my designs anymore, due to some
> unresolvable technical issues (weirdness). Used
> to have an ABS rapid prototyper of my own in
> Nevada, years back, ran on windows 3.1. I'm all
> for getting these things as common as inkjet
> printers.
Probably be there around 7, and stay til 8:30 or 9:00 tonight.
November 27, 2010 07:42PM
I just stumbled across the whole reprap 3d printing thing today & am VERY excited that these can be made for so cheap! (at the expense of time) while I don't have the money to build one myself, I am interested in possibly helping build one, or just learning more about them. I'm 22 & enjoy having a good beer while talking about science,electronics. :-)

Is there a meeting spot in SE Portland ( I live in Sellwood)
November 30, 2010 01:28AM
Hi all-
We FINALLY just got all of our electronics working (after months of banging our head against some simple mistakes). We just ordered some filament, and are starting the mechanical construction in a few weeks. How are you guys coming along on your projects?

-Tom and Scott
December 05, 2010 01:33AM
Hey guys,

I am a local engineering student (SE Portland) who is very interested in these FDM machines... I am thinking about building a machine of my own, but I want to see what the final parts look like. My main concern is the relatively low resolution. Does anyone in the area have a fine tuned machine? Would anyone be interested in showing off what there machine could do?

Alternatively, I am also trying to locate local shops who could make FDM parts for me... Anyone know of a prototyping shop around here? For the stuff I plan to do, sending out the work vs. buying a machine may be a smarter choice.

Thank you!
December 06, 2010 10:28PM
My x-y-z's move, now to finish the hot end and get the extruder running. Testing yet to do. Hopfully printing by Christmas.
January 13, 2011 04:38AM
I hope I can join your group, I live in Newport, Or. And I am very interested in making a Reprap Machine. I can't afford to buy all the parts on ebay, but would like to support you people and maybe buy my parts at or near cost. I am 63 and a disabled Vet. and live a small pension.
Radcnc
January 27, 2011 06:11PM
I'm new here, i just watched the Zeitgeist movies and i want to help spread the use of these machines to others. I do not yet have a machine, but if anyone could manufacture the parts i can build it and use that to make more for others.
I learned about the RepRap just yesterday. A friend and I plan to build one; I'm in Troutdale and he's in the West Hills off Hwy 26. We're thinking of the smaller model first, but the kits and other pieces for the first one seem to be for the Mendel. If that's the situation, that's what we'll build.

What I don't see on the wiki is information on the software used to run the printer. I assume the source code is available so we can compile it on a linux box. Also, what do folks use to prepare the drawings that are eventually fed to the printer? There is much we need to learn before we start construction.

Rich
February 14, 2011 03:10PM
Anyone know if there's a users group that meets around the Portland area? I haven't been able to find anything except this thread.

I'm trying to bootstrap myself into a machine and would like an opportunity to talk to others.

Rich Shepard,
Here's a link to the reprap software wiki, through which you can get to the software source, both the PC stuff and the Arduino firmware.
Thanks for the software URL, patbob. I can set up my old Sony notebook to run it.

We can all arrange to meet at a more-or-less central location (the East Bank Saloon's back room is great for such meetings) if we want to talk over dinner and microbrews. To work on machines we'd need another place, but I'm confident many are available.

Rich
February 14, 2011 07:03PM
East Bank sounds like a fine place to meet. Let's see if we can rustle up a few more people before committing to a place and time though. If nobody else chimes in by, say, the end of this week (ie. by Monday 2/21/2011), let's go ahead and pick a time and place to get together. Sounds like a plan?

BTW, I haven't been to East bank before.. do they allow minors there?
February 15, 2011 10:54PM
Greetings, I am new to the reprap community and I would be very interested in a portland area get together. East bank sounds like a good place to meet as any for a discussion. I will watch this thread for a date and time, I hope to meet you soon!
February 16, 2011 02:40AM
rembrantph,
I'm going to try and get something organized for next week or week after. Any day's you wouldn't be able to make it?

All,
East Bank still sounds like a good place, but if we meet at a pizza place, I'll offer to buy a pizza for everyone to help get things kicked off.
February 17, 2011 02:38PM
I am free any night after 6pm, I work tues through sat, so sun/mon would be better for me if we want to get together earlier.
February 21, 2011 02:37AM
I'd like to meet other repraper here also. I'm retired so am open to time and place. I'll keep watching this tread.
February 21, 2011 02:34PM
Ok, people have had a chance to chime in on the thread if they wanted to..

How does next week Monday 2/28/2011 sounds to everyone? Starting at 6pm at East Bank Saloon in downtown Portland?

I'll bring a sign and stick around at least till 8pm in case anybody else wants to just drop in and visit.
February 21, 2011 06:25PM
Sounds good to me, I will definitely be there.
February 22, 2011 06:15PM
Only just saw this thread, and it looks like I'm too late for this meeting, but BrainSilo (the Portland hackerspace) would be more then happy to provide space for some RepRap/3D printing meetings. We already have some people interested (including myself), we're close in (next to the Broadway Bridge), and it's BYOB friendly. Some Monday and Tuesday nights are open, as well as Fridays and weekends.

If anyone is interested in organizing something like this there, just let me know, and I can get you set up for it.

P.S.: we're also working on eventually getting a laser cutter in the space
February 25, 2011 10:01PM
Not too late yet, we'll be meeting Monday night, February 28th, 2011. Would be great to see you there.
I am the coordinator for ZeitgeistPDX we are putting together our annual ZDAY 2011 event on March 13th in NE Portland. With the recent release of Zeitgeist: Moving Forward, we have had a upsurge of interest in Reprap projects from our supporters. We have a growing number of local supporters who are meeting to learn and sharpen electronics skills, and a Reprap or similar project is turning into a goal to work toward. Possibly one to donate to a Hackerspace like Brainsilo.

For our ZDAY we would really love to have a Reprap machine on display for our attendees to see and ask questions about. Is there anyone in Portland who would consider this? If so, please e-mail me: (admin at zeitgeistpdx dot org) and we can talk about the details.

We have a great speaker line-up and are expecting a good crowd. See the speaker line-up and other details here: [zeitgeistpdx.org]

Thank you!
March 08, 2011 04:41PM
New to 3D printing and want to learn more about the construction and use of the printers, I Work in PDX but live south and would love to meet up with you other rappers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login