Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aloha! Introductions Please...

Posted by TerryS 
Aloha! Introductions Please...
July 13, 2010 04:56PM
E Komo Mai Hawaii RepRappers!

I'm new to the RepRap world and I'm eager to locate fellow RepRappers in our beautiful island state. If you live in Hawaii and own a RepRap or are thinking about getting one please join this group and introduce yourself in this topic. Through this hui I hope to:

1. Share our knowledge of local suppliers of the bits and pieces needed for RepRap construction. We all know that living in paradise comes with high shipping costs. Hopefully we can find some good local sources or maybe put together volume purchases from out of state to ease the shipping burden.

2. Have occasional get togethers to share our machines and knowledge.

3. Distribute RepRaps in our schools to supplement their S.T.E.M. programs.

I'm a mechanical engineer and a SolidWorks user. I'm currently gathering all the parts needed to build an Isaac RepStrap. I was hoping to have my son and his friend build this as a summer project, but I underestimated the time it takes to gather all the parts so it looks like they'll have to continue working on it as they start their senior years at Kapolei High. The plan is to use this first Isaac to make parts for a few more machines for the school's technology academy.

Aloha!
Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:58PM by TerryS.
Re: Aloha! Introductions Please...
August 10, 2010 10:48PM
Wooo! Go Hawaii RepRap User Group! I was wondering how long it would be until one popped up smiling smiley.

Thank you Terry for starting one!

I have been operating a RapMan 3.0 since the beginning of the year. I live on Maui and mostly use Alibre for design. I mostly print things from Thingiverse and I have a few of my own models on there.

It is great to hear that you are getting your son and his school involved! I would love to see more people with 3D printers, especially here in Hawaii.

The Isaac RepStrap looks like a good plan. Please let me know if you do need some 3D printed parts to finish your build. I haven't printed any Mendel parts yet but I plan to make at least one set, eventually.

I also want to mention that Ultimachine.com is a great source for filament (I use PLA but they also carry ABS now) and they ship USPS Priority Mail (they use the flat rate boxes). I am sure you will agree with me that FedEx, and especially UPS, charge absolutely ridiculous shipping rates in comparison.

Good luck with the RepStrap!
October 16, 2010 05:51PM
Hi Terry,

I live in Kailua and have a Makerbot since June 2010. I also went to the NYC Makerfaire this month. Feel free to email me.

--Jim
July 17, 2011 07:58PM
Aloha from the north shore,
Awesome to find out that other people on Oahu have already built these printers! I just found out about them and have been doing research on the reprap and would love to see one work! Just seeing one in person makes it much easier for me to build as well. Shoot me an email if I can check out your reprap!
Mahalo,
Cameron
November 25, 2012 12:35AM
Aloha Jim,

Are you still in Kailua? I go there on weekends - I live in town. I just ordered a ROSTOCK Max Hope to have it built by end of December.

Mahalo,

Carl
January 19, 2018 08:27PM
Hi Everyone!

I realize that no one has posted here in more than 5 years, but I figure posting here is worth a shot!

I'm on Oahu and work in downtown Honolulu, but live on the far west side of things smiling smiley I got into 3D printing with the dirt cheap Anet A8 kit (price was a barrier for me 10 years ago).

The reprap movement seems to have died down a bit since more commercial (but also open source) designs have taken over the market, however I still strongly believe in it!

I've sorta forcefully adopted a Dutch reprap project, the 3Dtje mini 3D printer! See my build here
[forums.reprap.org]

I've taken up the responsibility to move the project forward in terms of ease of creation and use as well as some hardware improvements. I've just posted an instructable for the printer here: [www.instructables.com]

Anyway, I still very much really like the idea of 3D printers printing 3D printers, even if the price to do so may be equal or higher than some other chinese printers these days ($100-200usd). I'm in love with the reprap Snappy and Dollo projects, but am put off by their complexity, which is why I chose to adopt this simple design.

If anyone on the island would like to build one of these printers and need some help to get started (parts kit, advice, etc), I'm more than willing to help!

I'm interested in building a hangprinter as well, however I don't have the space to do so... if anyone on island wants to build one and can provide an appropriate space, I'm totally down!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 08:27PM by fiveseven808.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login