Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Ink' pen allows flexible circuits to be drawn

Posted by Tuna 
'Ink' pen allows flexible circuits to be drawn
June 29, 2011 03:44PM
From The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/29/silver_pen/

Illinois University have published a paper describing a pen that draws working circuits using a silver solution:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.201101328/full

Re: 'Ink' pen allows flexible circuits to be drawn
June 30, 2011 09:45AM
Nice. When is it going to be on the market?
July 20, 2011 11:29AM
do they already have this? i did a google search and there is a picture of one i think we may be able to use
[www.google.com]

sorry about the horrendous link
July 20, 2011 12:41PM
Thats awesome. Id like to see some results from any reprappers here. I'll post this in the general area for more publicity.
July 26, 2011 01:42PM
Conductive pens have been around for ages for circuit repair/alteration. However, aren't they pens more like paint pens or markers?

As I read it, the innovation here was that they produced a conductive ink that had the corerct consistency to be applied using a ball point as an applicator. That would make using one in a X-Y plotter to draw circuits a lot easier.
August 10, 2011 03:42AM
Nano Ink (Nink) is now available in HP Cartridge or refill format from Nano-Labs, probably a more suitable format for the RepRap. As soon as I get my Prusa built I hope to experiment:

[www.nano-lab.com]

Julian
January 17, 2012 03:33PM
This would appear to be an additional development by the same research group. A silver based ink suitable for liquid jet printing:

[www.spacedaily.com]

Purely liquid. Contains no particles, colloids, emulsions etc. It reacts upon drying to produce conductive silver. It might require annealling
at 90 degrees C for best continuity. Should be suitable for printing 2D circuits on smooth surfaces. Could it also be used to make 3D circuits?
If it would stick to an extrudable plastic well enough to climb a stairstep of filaments, it would seem it could. This needs to be experimented with.
Unfortunately I don't have the health, strength, and time resources to do it. Hopefully someone will pick up on the idea???

Randy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login