Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Message Fan

Posted by nicholas.seward 
Message Fan
January 07, 2014 01:06AM

I was buying some auxiliary usb fans for my printers so I don't have to lug bigger fans on the road. I like a lot of cooling. I came across some with customizable persistence of vision. [amzn.com] If I could squeeze out some time to do silly projects I would totally hack these guys so I could post messages from host software to the fan. You know like time remaining, temps, etc. For now I will have to settle for sweet custom messages.
Re: Message Fan
January 08, 2014 03:47AM
Heh, that sounds pretty cool!
January 08, 2014 05:33AM
Nice find !
Did you buy any ?
Can I ask which way the message is orientated with regards to which way they are blowing ?
I.E. if you hold them displaying the message towards you, are they blowing towards you ?

I so want to be able to mount one on the front of my reprap !

blowing onto the heatbed, (away from me) but be readable to me.
January 08, 2014 08:40AM
I ordered some but from the picture I would say that it is blowing at you. However, I think we can print new blades. :-)
January 08, 2014 03:30PM
What an idea !!

It takes so long to get used to the idea of a 3D printer doesn't it !

I ordered one today, I also had a read around the net, I wonder if I'll get time to hack one too.
I have some mbeds available (LPC1768), I could USBHost my printer and write to the fan on the fly.

too many interesting projects, too little time!
February 07, 2014 07:22PM
The Arduino Due has USB host capabilities, correct? Could we wire this directly to RAMPS-FD and use it instead of an LCD?
February 07, 2014 07:27PM
There is a variant of that fan out there that has a temperature sensor readout. No reason that couldn't be attached to a heat bed. Something like this: [www.ebay.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login