Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated build plate idea

Posted by Natas70 
Heated build plate idea
March 22, 2014 08:15PM
I am looking into the feasibility of making a a 24"x24" or 24"x12" or 18" printer and what is stopping me is the idea of the heated build area/plate. I see all the discussions of amperage/wattage and I am uninformed in the ways of electricity. Is there a reason why people are not looking at electric cooking griddles with glass above it. For 110c you need about 230f. I am guessing it isnt safe to leave one of those running for more than an hour?

idea 2, and this is probably been asked before, what about 3 - 8" mk1/2 side by side for a 24x12 build area with a 1/4" aluminum or steel plate then glass over the top.

Thanx in advance
James
Re: Heated build plate idea
March 23, 2014 05:49AM
There are silicone heating mats made for 110/220V: [reprap.org] And expect your room to be heated significantly, too, along with a nice electricity bill.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Heated build plate idea
March 25, 2014 03:42PM
Electric griddle's work fine they are usually very good quality elements and any machine that is large is going to run long periods of time safety is one of the first concerns try not to use any thing flammable except for the plastic your printing. And a total fire resistant enclosure with automatic shutdown and alarm should be implemented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login