Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IWIK3D : The 3D Printer that fits in the palm of your hand.

Posted by Chaser30 
IWIK3D : The 3D Printer that fits in the palm of your hand.
August 23, 2015 07:52AM
I was really intrigued with the 3D printers made from DVD roms. While I bought purpose built DVD motors with longer leadscrews, and with some left over V-slot from other projects, I was determined to put together a 3D printer that was no only compact, but also had at least a half decent build area for its size (60mm x 60mm x 60mm). This is a work in progress, so I thought I would share where i am up to so far while I am still waiting for parts to finish. Along with the V-slot extrusion and mini v slot wheels, the plates have been CNC'd from acrylic, uses a E3d hot end and fan with a Teensylu 0.8 Board. It will be a X-Y table and z movement of the head. Currently i am using a 12V 6A power supply. I have a connection for the Teensylu for a LCD Controller that can be added as well but will ideally trying to run this with software from an Android phone or my Rasberry Pi with touchscreen.. Next I will be adding some side,top and back plates made from the same acyrlic. Will have a link to the video soon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 07:59AM by Chaser30.
Re: IWIK3D : The 3D Printer that fits in the palm of your hand.
August 23, 2015 04:37PM
Looks very interesting.

Are you in a very smoky location, or do you have oil on your camera lens?
Re: IWIK3D : The 3D Printer that fits in the palm of your hand.
August 23, 2015 04:39PM
For a small printer like this, have you considered an 'inverted built'?

The build platform would be above the (inverted) extruder, and would move in Z, X, and Y.

This way you only need light motors to control the build platform, and (assuming you had good 'stick' on the first layer) should allow you do very fast build, since the part + build stage should be lighter than the extruder at this scale.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login