Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

any docs about slicer algorithm or gcode generator algorithm

Posted by hfutzhu 
any docs about slicer algorithm or gcode generator algorithm
May 29, 2013 12:41AM
I am reading the reprap host software sourcecode,and i found difficult to understand the algorithm,can anyone give me some suggests?
Re: any docs about slicer algorithm or gcode generator algorithm
May 29, 2013 04:54AM
I have few papers for slicing algorithms..!! I am unable to attach them here because of size constraint..If you wanti can mail yjem to you.
May 29, 2013 06:26AM

I have few papers for slicing algorithms..!! I am unable to attach them here because of size constraint

How about making a short wiki page for slicing algorithms? Undoubtly, others are interested, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 29, 2013 10:52AM
Yeah, making a Wiki page definitely would help a lot!

That being said, I can imagine (don't take my word for it!) slicing involves looking for intersections between the surface triangles of the model and a X/Y-plane. To limit the amount of triangles you have to check, you can index them according to their vertices' positions. At least this is the approach I would be choosing.

And if this helps any, here is a link to a rather stripped-down slicer based on Slic3r, written in C: Schlizzer
The goal of this project originally was to speed slicing up so that you could get results in a decent time-frame when slicing on the Raspberry Pi.
>grinning smiley<Re: any docs about slicer algorithm or gcode generator algorithm
May 29, 2013 11:35AM
can you email to me?thx!!
zhuping_1114@126.com
May 29, 2013 12:37PM
There is an article on the RepRap wiki by Adrian Bowyer himself about how the RepRap host slicing algorithm works. It may be a bit outdated, but it is a good place to start.

See the section "Detailed description of geometry processing" on the Reprap host software wiki page and follow the links from there!
May 29, 2013 12:41PM

That being said, I can imagine (don't take my word for it!) slicing involves looking for intersections between the surface triangles of the model and a X/Y-plane. To limit the amount of triangles you have to check, you can index them according to their vertices' positions. At least this is the approach I would be choosing.

Unfortunately that's the easy bit of the problem.
Once you have the outline you have to generate perimeters which requires a polygon inset, there are a lot of papers written on doing this efficiently.The simple cases are obvious enough, but insetting can result in overlapping edges.
The two primary mechanisms described in various papers are
analytic, either by using variations on straight skeleton or by ignoring the overlap in an initial pass then trying to clean up the result using polygon winding orders. The issue here is numeric stability.
sampling, effectively render a bitmap and turn path construction into a set of bit map operations, this is numerically very stable, but you have to reconstruct paths which can introduce sampling errors.

I believe that Skeinforge and Slic3r do the former and that KissSlicer probably does the latter.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
May 29, 2013 04:11PM
Ugh yeah, totally forgot about that problem...
The bitmap rendering approach to the problem sounds nice to me, at least more understandable from a "ordinary human" standpoint based on visuals.
Since the resolution of the printers is limited and the firmwares use Bresenham's algorithm anyway, a "relatively rough" bitmap resolution might not even affect print quality at all.

Being interested in advanced slicer development myself without having much programming experience, outsourcing the slicing process to already available software like Skeinforge and sticking to programming the infill features I want to introduce seems like a better approach for now; still, slicing is quite the fascinating topic in my opinion.
May 31, 2013 07:53PM
i wish i am a math wiz ...

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
March 14, 2014 11:45AM
Any chance you could send those papers to me?

john@solidoodle.com
July 04, 2014 01:15AM
Would you please email the algorithm papers to me toosmiling smiley

Thank you

shawn@novusterra.com
July 07, 2014 09:34AM
I'm interested in this as well. It would be great for the community to have an online repository of quality technical papers such as these for making Slicers.
Can they be added to the reprap wiki?

Regards,

Paucus
Kikai Labs
August 16, 2016 05:43PM
could you please send me those papers too?
sina.faezi@gmail.com
August 16, 2016 05:58PM
Guys, don't complain about getting tons of spam emails after publicly displaying your email address on a forum...

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 16, 2016 06:29PM
Any chance of sharing those papers and of making an online repository (public) for them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login