Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bot using commercial motorised linear stages?

Posted by PZC 
PZC
Bot using commercial motorised linear stages?
August 21, 2013 03:24PM
Hi Gang,
I'm wondering if it's possible to make a bot out of commercial (Parker Daedal) motorised linear stages together with RAMBo or RAMPS electronics.
In a nutshell, I already have the stages but will need to add the driver electronics and extruder.
These stages have a very coarse thread pitch - roughly 0.2" per revolution - so even with x16 micro stepping I'm looking at a movement of roughly 0.0016mm per micro step.
My question is: is that step size compatible with RAMBo / RAMPS? Or is my project doomed from the start?
Thanks.
Re: Bot using commercial motorised linear stages?
August 21, 2013 03:53PM
Typical Reprap might use 80 steps per mm, so you have plenty of resolution. The usual problem with leadscrew is getting a high enough step rate of the electronics, and stepper motor torque falls off rapidly as RPM increases.
August 24, 2013 05:58PM
Sounds like you have the basis of a good 3-D printer problem is I would not suggest trying to use standard reprap electronics instead think of it as a CNC machine use Mach 3 or EMC 2 to control it if you need info go to CNC zone control hot end temperature and heat bed temperature with standalone controllers here is a picture of mine if you Google large scale repstrap you should find more on my machine and a couple videos URL=http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/richard_nelson1/media/3d%20printer/DSCN0055_zps5b7442c7.jpg.html] [/URL]
August 28, 2013 06:05AM
I think to get it to work at a good speed, you'd need motors with less steps per revolution than the common 3D printer steppers which seem to mostly be 200 steps per mm. Perhaps the 7.2 degrees per step ones if you can find them...
August 28, 2013 07:58AM
I didn't notice that you said it only had .200 per revolution ballscrews yes this would be a little slow if you can you could speed this up with a belt drive to ballscrew 1 to 3 or 1 to 2 my ballscrew pitch is .625
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login