Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JunkBot (One man's junk is another man's reprap)

Posted by REPRAP SQUAD 
JunkBot (One man's junk is another man's reprap)
January 04, 2014 07:43PM
I wanted to build a printer that could be built using primarily junk or recycled parts. I always caught myself seeing something that could be used to build a printer at a thrift store or on the side of the road. When I saw a friend of mine throwing away some outdoor solar lights I decided it was time to build the junkbot. The stands that held up the outdoor solar lights would be perfect for a frame as they made up from were 25 millimeters square aluminum tubing. I started putting together anything I could find that I might be able to use to build the JunkBot.

I also didn't just want to be able to build a printer out of junk, I wanted to be able to build one that functioned great and looked even better. Making the parts from random different printers and things on thingiverse I printed out anything that would work with this setup. I am now getting fairly close to being finished as all I have left to do is setup the controller, do some wiring, set the rest of the y axis up and print a few more small parts. I probably have more usable junk than most when it comes to building a RepRap out of it but, if you be creative you can build one for a minimal expense.

I have a complete build log that I started a few weeks or so ago on my site linked within my signature. I update it almost daily, so if you would like to check it out feel free.

I would post pics but apparently all the ones I have are too large to post.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Re: JunkBot (One man's junk is another man's reprap)
January 04, 2014 07:53PM
Here's a direct link to the build log, with pics etc.

[reprapsquad.wordpress.com]

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
January 05, 2014 04:12PM
I like this! smiling smiley There's another similar project hidden away on the wiki that you might appreciate: ScannerStrap.

I have a similar project in mind with a printer-scanner I found. This thing has no stepper motors. It is all DC motor + encoder. There are three nice integrated drive units that could be easily (I hope) converted to a cartesian XYZ system. There is even a nice piece of glass to use as a build surface!

The problem is, how to interface to the motor+encoders? I would like to make a "plug-in interface board" that has the same footprint as a Pololu A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier but connects to a DC motor and quadrature encoder. This little plug-in board would interpret the Step/Direction commands from, say, the Arduino on a RAMPS 1.4 board, and control a DC motor (with feedback from the encoder) as though it were a stepper motor. A "stepper emulator" so to speak.

I know the electronics pros will think this is ridiculous winking smiley. "Why add a bunch of little boards to complicate the interface when you could design an entire new system?" I like the little-board + RAMPS idea because RAMPS and the A4983 interface are ubiquitous. A drop-in interface for feedback-controlled DC motors might be useful to a lot of people...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the lonely little printer-scanner I rescued:

January 06, 2014 10:51AM
I started out many years ago, using scanners, printers and other things to make repraps out of. It is very difficult to use DC motors and get them to run correctly enough to print with. I'm not by any means saying, don't do that. I'm just letting you know that it will be a tough journey. A lot of the parts on the JunkBot came from household printers.

You can find with a little luck and a lot of searching, free printers. I searched Craigslist, thrift stores, e-cycle locations and more. I was able to find about 10 printers in all with a treasure trove of rods, switches, bushings and usable stepper motors. I've found that typically the older and the bigger and printer, the better the odds of finding good steppers.

The JunkBot is primarily built to show people that you really can build a good RepRap with everyday items and some creativity. So far I have spent about$10 on the JunkBot. The controllers have gotten cheap. You can now buy a full ramps setup with everything needed for about $60 on eBay. So you can start to see how small the costs really are to build this bot.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
January 10, 2014 03:40PM
The z and x axis are integrated, the x axis rods hold the z axis bearings in place. It also has an auto tensioner system for the z axis bearing system. That way rod sizes for the z axis can range from 8mm to about 14 plus mm with no modifications.

It also has a PTFE tube feed system that travels through the upper right vertex with quick disconnect plugs. The top mounted spool coaster is adjustable to fit any size spool. I have applied quite a few ideas that have been bouncing around in my head into this build. I decided to toss out conventional mechanical lever actuated homing switches for one's used on the enventorbot. They have worked great so far. I expect this project to be up and running within the next few weeks.

On the picture below you will also see a little LCD screen. The purpose of the screen is to log total print time. It was recycled off of a gas riding lawnmower. When the extruder turns on it starts to log time. This gives me an overall operational time of the printer. You can also buy these by themselves at any lawnmower store. They are very easy to install.

I have put quite a bit of engineering into this build and it will continue to evolve as I go. Hopefully by the end of this project, it can serve as a way to show people that you can build a quality printer for less than a $200. The main purchase is the controller which can be had on eBay for as low as $40 including ramps, Arduino, drivers and SD.

Another major expense would be the motors, they can be repurposed from old equipment. If you didn't want to spend the time to source then you could buy 5 motors for about $10 a piece. That with the controller put you close to a hundred bucks which will leave you another $100 for hotend and misc parts. I will be putting together a detailed BOM with part costs and options of alternative parts.
January 13, 2014 11:21PM
Saw this on hackaday, thought people reading this thread might appreciate it: printer up-cycled cnc machine uses more than just the stepper motors.

REPRAP_SQUAD
It is very difficult to use DC motors and get them to run correctly enough to print with.

Can you elaborate on this? What are some of the challenges, in your experience?
January 14, 2014 12:13PM
In order to make a printer out of junk you really need to have a few qualities: You need to be okay with troubleshooting, be good at looking at things in different ways and have the drive to keep going forward, no matter how stuck you may get during the build. Other than those helpful qualities it comes down to the junk you have available and it sounds like you are well on your way.

Finding workable materials is one of the harder tasks. I'm always collecting any and everything that could possibly be usable for building a RepRap. Today I will be adding a rough BOM that will start to detail the parts I used as well as ideas flex other usable parts. I will also note places that I commonly find good parts. By the end of today all the info will be updated. This can at least give you some good ideas of parts that can be used to build a printer even if you don't build the JunkBot.

The point of building the JunkBot isn't just for people to build this specific printer, even though a few already are. It's to serve as an example with info that a printer really can be built using recyclable materials. This printer can not only look great but function in line with printers costing way more.

We are also in the midst of making the JunkBot a dual extruder setup as well. Starting at first with reused parts and then eventually moving on to our own dual extruder design that will be downloadable via thingiverse. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any help as helping others is apart of our RepRap journey.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
January 30, 2014 02:08PM
I've updated the post on my blog with new pics and build log info.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
February 25, 2014 08:33PM
The JunkBot has really started to take off and its not even completed yet. Im currently working on a cable management setup using track as well as custom made drag cable. Its turning out to be a great printer and the costs are very low. Check out the updates one the site. I am trying to get some low resolution pics that I can put up here because of the file size limit.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 04, 2014 02:43PM
I was able to get a picture that was low enough resolution to let me post here. My site has a bunch of high res pics if you like to check it out.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 20140304_105012.jpg (281 KB)
March 05, 2014 11:37AM
I like it. Looks very industrial.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 08, 2014 08:09PM
Thanks Cameron, I've spent a lot of time getting everything just right and I'm finally getting close to being finished with the JunkBot build. Currently we are working on a new cable management system that I originally designed for my printrbot plus v2/v2.2 hybrid. I also posted info on the plus build and mods as well. If you would like to see any updates on the build, I'm updating the posts on the site as often as I can.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login