Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I need help developing a delta style 3d printer.

Posted by landsharkxx 
I need help developing a delta style 3d printer.
March 03, 2014 04:54PM
Can someone tell me the basic part list of an delta printer. I would love for it to be under $300 in parts. What is the best way to make the frame? Openbeams or wood? Can I use threaded rods as the thing that changes the elevation of the y axis. I know that the common way is to use some thin like a pulley system. The way I want mine is for it to be attached like the printrbot attaches its threaded rod the the stepper motors, with clear tubing and zip ties. What electronic board would be the best to use? I plan on buying a hot end that is already made so that I dont have to develop that too. How big does the base plate have to be if I want it to have a 6 inch diameter print area.
Re: I need help developing a delta style 3d printer.
March 03, 2014 09:43PM
Under $300 total would be difficult, though possible if you really scrounge for parts. The best way to make the frame is up to you and your skill set. Wood works fine, as does aluminum extrusions. Take a look at existing designs, such as the Rostock and Kossel. You can also look at some others.

The Kossel has a print diameter of about 6.7", so I would base the dimensions off of that.

Any standard RepRap electronics will work, as will any hot end.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 03, 2014 10:36PM
I pretty much have the wood already so the frame is basically already paid for which should cut down on the price.
March 07, 2014 05:47PM
You should try asking in the Delta Robots Forum.
March 07, 2014 08:19PM
Buback
You should try asking in the Delta Robots Forum.

This, and when there check out LISA Simpson
April 02, 2014 12:22AM
Also check out the Delta 3D Printers Google Group.

I've been wondering about a frame made from square steel tubing. Cheap and ridiculously rigid. Could that work?
April 02, 2014 04:45PM
$300? No. Sorry, it's just not likely to happen for a delta, much less a cartesian.
Most printers have nearly $200 in electronics and hot end alone, very little of which you will find laying around as scrap. You also need some sort of accurate linear motion. Bearings add up fast, and linear rails of any sort cost even more. Motors and power supplies you can find scrap, but also cheap.

Yes, you can build a frame from scrap, possibly some linear motion parts as well, but you still have that intial $200 worth of electronics to come up with before you even start. Then there is all the misc. hardware which will nickle and dime you. Basically, the frame is the cheapest part of the whole printer as it can be made from anything.

If you want one for $300, buy a PrintRbot, because even if you manage to build something for under $400, odds are, it won't even be as good as that. You don't have the ability to buy in bulk, nor the experience.

Oh, and don't count on older designs to be cheaper, many of the newer designs have newer, cheaper construction methods.
April 02, 2014 08:22PM
epicepee
I've been wondering about a frame made from square steel tubing. Cheap and ridiculously rigid. Could that work?

Check out AndyCart's Cherry Pi design in the Delta forum here. He designed printed carriages that ride on 20mm square extrusions with roller bearings for wheels.....
April 03, 2014 03:19AM
Already been done, Delta Pi, is possibly what you are looking for, and depending on where you are, there are people out there already printing parts for it.

Shore, if twas easy, we'd all be doin it

Irish Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login