Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HEATED BED

Posted by Javaid Butt 
HEATED BED
March 25, 2014 12:19PM
This might seem a little out of context but it is something that is remarkably similar. I am trying to make a heated plate capable of achieving temperature of around 500 degree Celsius.

It is not for printing purposes.

The principle looks to be the same as I would have to use Arduino for the connections and power supply but I am still not sure as to what components should I use and how to connect them.

It is a stand alone project, just a heated plate/bed able to reach temperatures as high as 500 with all the controls like display and provision to adjust temperature etc.

I would really appreciate any input in this matter as I am also in the process of learning so I hope that we can have a healthy discussion rather than an obliteration of my idea.
Re: HEATED BED
March 25, 2014 12:37PM
I guess I'd start by looking at toaster oven heating elements or electric stoves. Not sure if either will get to 500 C but probably close. Also there are those cool iniductive ranges that might be fun to play with.

Bryan
March 26, 2014 10:33AM
A hotplate like [www.amazon.com] controlled with a solid state relay capable of 10A or more and some kind of thermocouple sensor setup to reach 500C would be the basic components.

Rather than the arduino, you might look into an off-the shelf PID kit like [www.amazon.com] You'd get a better PID algorithm than in most of the reprap firmwares.
April 02, 2014 12:25AM
Have you considered powering it off of propane? I think it would probably be cheaper than electricity per heat, and you don't need any ridiculously big transistors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login