Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Program flowchart of firmware.

Posted by Fahim 
Program flowchart of firmware.
May 13, 2014 05:03PM
Hello Everyone,

It's Fahim, a MSc Mechatronics Engineering student, I have been working on a project, which needs to create or edit the firmware available for Ultimaker! I have got the understandings and working principles clear, but I need to dig deep into the firmware program.

Is there anyone, who can help me out with the flowchart of the Marlin or any other program ?? Please get in touch.

Regards

Fahim
Re: Program flowchart of firmware.
May 13, 2014 11:26PM
You could try [github.com] and adapt one of the config files to your ultimaker.

Teacup has a relatively simple structure compared to Marlin. The main loop in [github.com] ; the temperature and heater stuff initiated periodically with [github.com] ; interrupt-driven ADC temperature conversions in [github.com] and interrupt-driven step timing in [github.com] scheduled by [github.com]

Teacup doesn't do LCD menus or printing from SD cards, but it might be a good fit for your purposes.
May 18, 2014 06:31AM
Thanks a lot DaveX,

I really do appreciate your reply. Its actually my project to create or modify the existing firmware which can be utilised for real time stl updates. So, I actually need to specify those areas of the firmware, where I can develop codes to fit my needs. Please let me know your suggestions.

Regards

Fahim
May 18, 2014 07:47AM
Fahim
Its actually my project to create or modify the existing firmware which can be utilised for real time stl updates.

STL? Like uploading 3D models directly to the controller? On current controllers, this is pretty much impossible, there isn't sufficient processing power. Not even on the ARM based flavours. And newer controllers tend to add sort of a normal PC (RaspberryPi or similar) alongside the realtime controller.

If you really want to go a few steps down this route I'd suggest to leave all the controller stuff as is and feed an existing firmware with G-code. The main task would be to write a slicer which can produce G-code early. Current ones do most of the calculations before starting to write output. That's in the nature of their path generation algorithms, which likely has to change.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 18, 2014 06:50PM
Traumflug
STL? Like uploading 3D models directly to the controller? On current controllers, this is pretty much impossible, there isn't sufficient processing power. Not even on the ARM based flavours. And newer controllers tend to add sort of a normal PC (RaspberryPi or similar) alongside the realtime controller.

Smoothieboard and clones present the on-board SD card socket as a USB thumb drive to the host PC, in addition to presenting the traditional serial session for sending raw G-code. Their firmware also stores config settings in a file on the SD card, so flashing the firmware or changing the config is as simple as copying a new file via drag/drop.

Although Smoothieware is what I consider to be the next generation of 3D printer firmware, there is a hand-drawn logic diagram on their web site that the OP might want to take a look at to get a feel for how the various routines communicate if they can't find one for Marlin or the other common firmware packages......
May 19, 2014 05:05AM
vreihen
Smoothieboard and clones present the on-board SD card socket as a USB thumb drive to the host PC, in addition to presenting the traditional serial session for sending raw G-code.

And how does this make up capabilities to generate G-code from 3D models? It's just a slightly simpler way to copy G-code files from host to controller.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 19, 2014 06:22AM
Oops, my bad. I was thinking G-code. Considering that I find myself basically tweaking slicing settings for every print job with the current crop of PC slicing software, I don't think that the current generation software is ready for being embedded just yet.....
May 30, 2014 10:13PM
Hello,

I need to modify or develop a new firmware, which can handle real time update. Basically, if we start printing something in a 3D printer and then later on (within a given time frame) decide to change the shape of the remaining part of the item the printer would have the window for the new code / 3d model / stl file to be uploaded in order to do the job !!!
May 30, 2014 10:21PM
Thanks for your advice smiling smiley I really do appreciate it. But, in order to do so, I really have to put some timer or some delays in between those G Codes, as the 3D printer makes the border lines first and then starts filling the middle. Could you please advice me that, do I use "MeCode" to edit the G codes ??? Or do I have to write a new library or edit the current one's ??

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login