Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AMF format support, Is it time for us to get busy?

Posted by eades850 
AMF format support, Is it time for us to get busy?
June 10, 2014 04:10PM
Is it time we as a community begin looking ahead to where the industry is going and begin our own open source development of post/processing and slicing software, as well as the electronics capable of running the resulting code.
I personally would love to be able to have more control of my print production than is currently available using STL or OBJ to g-code conversion. AMF makes so many possibilities available, but at present, only the big buck systems make use of them, while we in the hobbiest/small business community lose out. And as long as the big boys are able to keep all the high detail/color/structure options in house it is highly unlikely that the format capabilities and necessary interfaces will "Trickle Down" to our level. That is of course until we press the issue and demand, or develop it ourselves.
In short, we are missing out on the next level of 3d printing software and technology development.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 04:19PM by eades850.
Re: AMF format support, Is it time for us to get busy?
June 11, 2014 08:31AM
eades850
Is it time we as a community begin looking ahead to where the industry is going and begin our own open source development of post/processing and slicing software, as well as the electronics capable of running the resulting code.

Huh? Skeinforge is Open Source, slic3r is Open Source, almost all electronics designs are Open Source / Open Hardware. And in quite some aspects, RepRap isn't behind the industry, but advanced to it.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 15, 2014 03:47AM
If you are wondering about doing it, it's probably that you need it : go ahead and implement that - probably better to incorporate in one of the existing open solutions as Traumflug mentioned.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
July 15, 2014 03:58AM
Both Cura and Slic3r support AMF files already. Slic3r uses them for multicolor prints and Cura did use it for multicolor prints with the old SF engine and still supports them in the new Cura engine but I do not think it does multicolor yet.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login