Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoreXZ

Posted by nicholas.seward 
Re: New CoreXZ firmware in town! Meet MarlinKimbra
September 03, 2015 03:30PM
I would be quite happy to add 3:1 or variable ratio CoreXZ support to RepRapFirmware (for Duet electronics, but currently being ported to RADDS and Alligator); however I won't do it unless there is someone who has a CoreXZ machine and can test it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 03, 2015 03:32PM
I would be glad to test it. I personally have 10 and tons of my students have them also.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
September 03, 2015 03:44PM
nicholas.seward
I would be glad to test it. I personally have 10 and tons of my students have them also.

OK then, I will implement it in the next release. When do you expect to have a CoreXZ machine with a Duet, ready for the firmware? Also, am I right in thinking the following:

1. A CoreXZ machine is like a CoreXY machine with the Y and Z motors swapped and the Y and Z axes swapped;

2. The 3:1 ratio on the Z axis means that X movements are calculated as for a 1:1 CoreXY machine, but for Z movements I need to move both the X and Z motors 3 times as much as for a 1:1 machine?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 03, 2015 04:36PM
I will order a duet setup today. As to when I will have it done, probably before Christmas would be a safe time frame. I know I have to build a few before then. I don't see myself replacing electronics on working machines.

1) correct
2) correct
(capitals are motors and lowercase letters are directions.)
If X and Z both rotate clockwise one rotation when looking at their face-plate then the x will move a distance equal to the circumference of the pulley.
If X rotates CCW and Z rotates CW then z will move a distance equal to circumference/3.

Bonus points if you can allow for any rational ration. For instance, I have considered making x 1:2 and z 1:3.

ConceptFORGE
Re: CoreXZ
September 03, 2015 05:57PM
I've made the firmware changes, and added XYZ parameters to the M667 command to allow axis scaling factors to be set, see [reprap.org]. These changes will be in my next release.

September 06, 2015 09:13AM
dc42
I've made the firmware changes, and added XYZ parameters to the M667 command to allow axis scaling factors to be set, see [reprap.org]. These changes will be in my next release.

This is now released in version 1.07j at [github.com].

September 10, 2015 05:46AM
dc42

This is now released in version 1.07j at [github.com].

Thanks for doing this! Do you have any more information about the RADDS port?
September 10, 2015 07:53AM
The RADDS port has been done by Dan Newman. He isn't making the binaries public until he has done some more work, but I understand he has made binaries available privately. Or you can build the binary yourself from his github sources. He started from my fork, but I don't know whether he has integrated my latest changes yet.

RADDS/Due has some significant disadvantages compared to the Duet: it has no Ethernet port (so no web interface), the SD card is accessed via the slower SPI protocol, and you don't have software control of the stepper motor currents.

September 10, 2015 02:50PM
Thanks for the info on RADDS - I'll look into it.
Wrapping the Spools
September 13, 2015 04:55AM
Quick question: When you load the XZ spools, do you mirror the wraps, or wind both spools the same direction? (Does it matter?)
Re: Wrapping the Spools
September 13, 2015 10:11AM
scottyo
Quick question: When you load the XZ spools, do you mirror the wraps, or wind both spools the same direction? (Does it matter?)

It doesn't matter. Once together you might have to flip stepper wires or change stepper direction in firmware but that is typical.

ConceptFORGE
MarlinXZ firmware
September 22, 2015 01:40PM
Has anyone got Nicholas' MarlinXZ firmware to work with Ramps 1.4? I am having the same issue as MacMarty. XZ motion is as expected, but I get no Y motion. I changed the motherboard from 65 (Azteeg X1) to 33 (Ramps 1.3/1.4). I checked pins.h, but that looks correct.

I could run the RAMPS14Test firmware and get motion from all steppers. So I think I am missing a setting somewhere in Nicholas' code. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scotty
Y movement achieved
September 22, 2015 09:31PM
It's bizarre, but changing Y_ENABLE_ON to 1 in Configuration.h did the trick. (Leave the others as 0.) That shouldn't be that way I don't think, but it worked.
QuorXZ
September 25, 2015 09:40AM
My adaptation of Nicholas' CoreXZ is working very well (I call it "QuorXZ"). I am extremely pleased.

Here it is in action:
QuorXZ Video 1
QuorXZ Video 2

Thanks for your design, input, and firmware Nicholas!
Re: QuorXZ
September 25, 2015 09:51AM
Congrats! That looks very well built. Looks like you have lots of room to push up the performance based on your rapids. I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't print 2 or 3 times faster.

ConceptFORGE
September 25, 2015 10:01AM
nicholas.seward
Congrats! That looks very well built. Looks like you have lots of room to push up the performance based on your rapids. I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't print 2 or 3 times faster.

I already ran a print using Repetier Host's 200% of my basic settings (making it 80mm/sec), and the quality looked just as good as the original. That surprised me quite a bit. (Sure shakes the table though.)
September 25, 2015 10:02AM
Change the acceleration values down until the table is okay.

You also want to speed up normal moves but not the rapids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 10:03AM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
September 25, 2015 10:52AM
Thanks! I'll give that a try and report back.
jnj
September 30, 2015 01:15AM
Hi all, I'm working on Smoothie{ware,board} support for CoreXZ. You can see a preview here: [github.com]

These changes build successfully, but there are probably bugs and bad signs in there. I've just finished my CoreXZ build and will be testing this on my machine tonight.

X and Z axis reduction will be easily configurable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 01:20AM by jnj.
Endstop Code
October 03, 2015 07:22AM
Has anyone hacked Nicholas' code to get MIN endstops working?

I've been fiddling with the configuration files because I wanted to use auto bed leveling, but although my probe and limit switches showed to be TRIGGERED properly, nothing was stopping the stepper motion. Then I had a big "DUH" moment where I realized that the actual code had to have been changed, because triggering either X stepper or Z stepper to stop wouldn't actually stop both at the same time.

I'm guessing this is not trivial to do, but I'm not afraid to code if pointed in the right direction. (@Nicholas: Do you have the original Marlin tree you modified? I could capture a diff, and that would at least get me started - Thx.)

NOTE: I don't mind manually homing, but it would be nice to have at least the Z Endstop do the right thing so I can enable Bed leveling. Any hints? (On a side-note, why would Y Endstop not work as normal?)

On another side-note, does either the Smoothie or Duet code mentioned above take auto-leveling and/or endstops into account?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2015 07:27AM by scottyo.
Re: Endstop Code
October 03, 2015 07:30AM
scottyo
On another side-note, does either the Smoothie or Duet code mentioned above take auto-leveling and/or endstops into account?

The Duet code supports 3, 4 and 5-point bed compensation. I don't know exactly what you mean by "taking endstops into account". The Duet code gives you a choice of a maximum or a minimum homing switch for each axis, or you can use the Z probe in lieu of a low end switch where that is practical (e.g. Ormerod printers use a switch to home the Y axis and the IR proximity sensor to home X and Z). Once homed, the printer will refuse to exceed the high and low axis limits specified by then M208 commands in the configuration file, unless you choose to override this protection deliberately.

October 03, 2015 08:10AM
dc42
I don't know exactly what you mean by "taking endstops into account".

I am using RAMPS and Nicolas' version of Marlin. I might be making a wrong assumption about his code (and probably asking the wrong question). I am guessing he modified the CoreXY code for his CoreXZ implementation, and needed to somehow modify the X and/or Z minimum endstopping routines. Since leveling on the RAMPS depends on the Z-endstop, and both X and Z motors have to stop, I can see how that would require different considerations than a Core XY machine. I've not yet dug into the code very far (I've only grepped for COREXZ to find the files involved), and it might be more obvious once I do. But if not, or if I can't get it working, I might break down and buy a duet or a smoothieboard for my printer.
October 03, 2015 09:29AM
I do not remember what version I used.

ConceptFORGE
October 03, 2015 09:46AM
scottyo
dc42
I don't know exactly what you mean by "taking endstops into account".

I am using RAMPS and Nicolas' version of Marlin. I might be making a wrong assumption about his code (and probably asking the wrong question). I am guessing he modified the CoreXY code for his CoreXZ implementation, and needed to somehow modify the X and/or Z minimum endstopping routines. Since leveling on the RAMPS depends on the Z-endstop, and both X and Z motors have to stop, I can see how that would require different considerations than a Core XY machine. I've not yet dug into the code very far (I've only grepped for COREXZ to find the files involved), and it might be more obvious once I do. But if not, or if I can't get it working, I might break down and buy a duet or a smoothieboard for my printer.

Should be no problem. When running my fork of RepRapFirmware in CoreXY/CoreXZ/CoreYZ mode on the Duet, when any homing switch is triggered during a homing move then all motors are stopped. This has implications if you want to set up the homing files to do simultaneous X and Y homing, as I describe at [reprap.org].

jnj
October 05, 2015 12:04AM
In case anyone is interested, the Smoothieboard code has been tested and merged into the main Smoothieware repository. There is also some sample configuration that you can put in your config file: [github.com]

It's working beautifully on my CoreXZ smiling smiley

Re: endstops: I don't use them, but they will work just as well as they would on any other Smoothieboard-based setup (i.e. just fine)
November 09, 2015 06:35PM
Has anyone got auto bed levelling working with Nicholas's firmware mod? It doesn't work with the Marlin 1.1.0 RC2 version of CoreXZ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 06:35PM by Gina.
November 10, 2015 07:40AM
Looks like I shall be changing my CoreXZ to a cartesian arrangement. A few extra pulleys but I can still retain the 3:1 Z drive.
November 10, 2015 09:30AM
Repetier supports CoreXZ but I don't know about auto leveling. (Note: I have leveled my CoreXZ 1 time over the last year. That includes about 12 car trips.)

ConceptFORGE
November 10, 2015 09:45AM
RepRapFirmware supports CoreXZ with up to 5-point auto bed compensation. It doesn't yet support grid-based bed compensation.

November 10, 2015 12:12PM
I posted an issue about this on Marlin github and it's a verified bug. Link here - [github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login