Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone developed Fine Text Engraving Methods?

Posted by rrr7 
Has anyone developed Fine Text Engraving Methods?
August 30, 2014 04:46PM
see: [forums.reprap.org] in stead of this thread (more descriptive title)

Has anyone developed methods, settings or tools to guide someone trying to produce fine markings in or on surfaces akin to engraved text on printed parts?
I have seen many objects printed with large extruded or recessed lettering, but I'm looking for small text recessed in the surface or just 1 layer high.
ex: rulers, protractors, sextant, identification markings on objects etc...
I did not find many SUCCESSFULLY printed examples with searches. There are many models on thingiverse but few were shown with small text or scales printed well.
Hopefully someone knows of single color material methods.
Thanks-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:38PM by rrr7.
Re: Has anyone developed Fine Text Engraving Methods?
August 30, 2014 11:40PM
VDX has done some very fine work using lasers to engrave PCB's, plastics, ceramic tile, and more.

A low tech alternative that might get you passable results would be to attach a scribe like this to your machine, and basically make precisely placed scratches in the workpiece.
August 31, 2014 12:08AM
Thanks, but I was thinking about printed plastic parts with small text features.
Maybe; line width of 1.? x extrusion width, depth of 1.? x layer height, using a font made with single line based characters?
August 31, 2014 03:21AM
Uhm, engraving by milling or engraving be modeling small pockets into the surface? The former is regularly done with PCB milling, the latter is mostly a CAD question.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 31, 2014 09:50AM
Yes, but most prints that I have seen do not successfully show the small printing and scales. That is the question, what CAD dimensions to use for those features to be successful? And what printer settings go with them?
August 31, 2014 05:41PM
I think the reason for the answers you received is the wording. definition of engraving: the process or art of cutting or carving a design on a hard surface while 3D printing is additive (the opposite of engraving).

So people assumed you meant engraving and not 3D printing.

Yes in my experience it's very hard to get good inset small text. The only thing you can do is go slower, use a bolder font and go as large a letters as you can. I feel that any text that has lines less than 3mm width (the line width not the letter width) won't show up well at all. Now, the resin printers have better resolution and can do smaller text. Of course you could also engrave the item once printed.
September 01, 2014 01:22PM
Yes, probably true about the wording. I was looking for the equivalent of an engraving effect, thanks.
I will restart with a more appropriate title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:29PM by rrr7.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login