Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TFT GCode visualization

Posted by Ezrec 
TFT GCode visualization
January 10, 2015 08:58PM
For my powder bed printer, I find it useful to have an on-board visualization system of the model that has been rendered under the powder.

I think this might be generally useful. I used the Adafruit ST7735 for my project, but the codebase should be readily adaptable to any full color TFT.

Time lapse video of the visualization system running:

[youtu.be]

And before you ask, yes, that is a 3D projection with Z shading on an Arduino Mega 2560.

GitHub link to primary code checking: (GPLv2)

[github.com]
Re: TFT GCode visualization
January 11, 2015 03:41AM
That looks good! How much code and data space does the visualisation software take up? I'm currently having 100 TFT 3D printer control panels manufactured (see [forums.reprap.org]) and the existing firmware for the ATSAM3S2 processor leaves around 80K free code space and 14K free data space. So I'm wondering whether I may be able to add your visualisation code.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 11, 2015 08:30AM
I'll do an analysis in a bit (I have a STM32 I can try it on) but off the cuff that should be much more than enough code/data space.
January 12, 2015 12:10PM
For your panel, what printer firmware is it expecting to talk to?

The firmware for your panel seems to assume a JSON reply format (which I would like to use in my powder bed printer), but I don't see that documented anywhere.
January 12, 2015 07:23PM
It talks to my fork of RepRapPro firmware for Duet electronics. The message format is documented at [reprap.org], specifically the extensions to the M105 and M20 commands and the M36 command. I am planning some minor changes to the M105 responses prior to releasing the first batch of boards. It is based on the format used by the web interface to the Duet, except that the commands are gcodes instead of http request types.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 12, 2015 11:10PM
Ah, M105 only. Now it all makes sense.
January 18, 2015 07:35PM
For a point of reference, an unoptimized sketch with just the visualization support (null axes, no SD card) clocks in at approx 28K flash, 3K ram.

I should be able to squeeze that onto a Atmega328P device (Arduino UNO), and hang it off the TFT as a GCode pass-through device.

If I get that working, would anyone be interested in something like that as a Rep-Rap add-on?

(You'd plug it between your computer and the reprap, and it visualizes what your reprap is supposed to be doing).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login