Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GT2 belt non-stretchable filler section

Posted by Easy 
GT2 belt non-stretchable filler section
June 27, 2015 11:44AM
In many designs using GT2 belt, only a section of the belt is actually driven by a toothed pulley. The rest of the belt just connects the loop.
I am wondering if there is non-stretchable GT2 belt substitute material that could be used on a GT2 belt section that does not need teeth.
That way the possible stretch of a GT2 belt could be minimized.
So the belt substitute material and a method to attach to a GT2 belt would be needed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 11:48AM by Easy.
Re: GT2 belt non-stretchable filler section
June 27, 2015 12:53PM
Timing belts are already designed to have minimal stretch. Most belts come with fiberglass reinforcement and you can also choose kevlar, carbon fiber or steel as well. Note that stiffer reinforcement requires larger diameter pulleys.

I find it incredibly unlikely that belt stretch is a limiting factor in print quality.
June 27, 2015 02:49PM
As someone who always to be a few centimeters short when ordering GT2 belts, I can tell you that cable ties make good space fillers. Just make little eyes in each end of the belt by looping it back on itself and hold it with a cable tie. Then, use a longer cable tie to connect those belt loops. Best part is that the cable tie is also your belt tensioner.....
June 27, 2015 03:38PM
I am also thinking about the mass of GT2 belt. A thin wire may have much less mass than the belt.
I am also thinking in lines of the core x/y design, that has very long sections of belt.
Also, does the belt have more stretch when the printer is enclosed in an enclosure that heats everything up.
There was somebody that was using the plastic packing strap for belt, because it had very little stretch, and it is very light weight.
June 27, 2015 06:02PM
The quadrap (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103539262895202172380) people are using dyneema fishing line instead of belts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login