Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rep-rap Firmware communication protocol

Posted by D9ve 
rep-rap Firmware communication protocol
January 15, 2016 08:39PM
Hi all,

I have a few quick questions:

1) Does the reprap firmware (more specifically DC42 fork) buffer multi-pal lines of Gcode?

2) What's the best way to send the gcode; Send G command wait for an 'ok' response send next command and so on...?

3) I would be grateful for any tips and/or advice.

Background...
I am writing a small console to use with my 6DOF/axis printer, time is very limited: so simplicity is key. I have tried using: pronterface, replicatorG, chrome sender, duet web control, mach3. None of which are working with my sliced 6DOF gcode; each has a factor that will prevent my custom Prusa from printing.

Thank you

Dave

PS I know very little about the communication protocol, I am assuming this fork does not look ahead like marlin.
Re: rep-rap Firmware communication protocol
January 16, 2016 02:33AM
The Duet has a native USB port, which means that unlike atmega2560-based boards, it has hardware flow control. So the drivers in the host PC operating system will block if you try to send too much data, until the data has been accepted. This means that you do not need to worry about how much data the Duet has buffered, or wait for 'OK' responses (which RRF genergies only when set tI Marain emulatto mode). You will probably want to use a separate thread for sending data in your console program, so that when that thread blocks because the buffer is full, it doesn't make the whole console unresponsive.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: rep-rap Firmware communication protocol
January 26, 2016 08:19AM
Hey DC, that's great advice thanks...
smiling smiley works a charm

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login