Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual wades like extruder

Posted by amigob 
Re: Dual wades like extruder
April 08, 2016 11:01AM
I started with clips because I wanted to be able to remove the glass and swap in a different one, but in practice I didn't do it very often. When I added the second extruder I had problems with the idle nozzle knocking the clips off, so for now I've just taped the glass to the heatbed with kapton tape. It's ugly but working ok so far. I like your solution a lot better.
April 09, 2016 04:19AM
tried to print these 2 small blocks on top of each other and that seems to be to difficult for me

slic3r has already problems with this the first layer is placed beside the object. if I switch the extruder assignment then it looks different again.

I tried loading separate objects ( 2 blocks ) where both need to be set to Z height 0
And loading 1 object , splitting them and again both objects have a Z level of 0

when I start slicing in all test I get the warning : At least one object is outside the printable area. Abort slicing,
If I press no, I get the strange results.

P3steel DXL, with Due/RADDS/Raps128 dual Wade's extruder
April 09, 2016 07:21AM
increasing the Z level of the top block with 0.1 um solved the problem? confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Looking at the slices everything looks ok, no missing layer ?

April 09, 2016 08:03AM
Yay - success!

Your experience sounds exactly like my first few prints. Everything seemed to be 10x more trouble and difficult to find simple instructions for how to do it.

If you are using repetier-host, the trick seems to be to load two stls separately and then use the "Object informations" dialog (click the cog icon in the list of parts) to assign both parts to the same object group. That should get rid of the "outside of printable area" messages. You can also set the extruder in the same dialog. If you are using Slic3r's stand alone plater it looks like you have to load one object, then open its settings dialog and use the "Load part..." button to load the second part as a sub-part of the same object.

Rendering preview is a pain - in Repetier host there are bugs so you can't rely on the colour coding to tell which plastic is going to be used at any point. Prints come out as expected but the preview is a mess, particularly in the bottom layers. In Slic3r's preview I can't find a way to colour code by extruder, so I can't tell what's supposed to be going on. Print and pray! I'm getting increasingly tempted by Simplify3D, but the $$$ is off-putting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 08:11AM by JamesK.
April 09, 2016 09:23AM
> use the "Object informations" dialog (click the cog icon in the list of parts) to assign both parts to the same object group.
that helps :-)
> Repetier host there are bugs so you can't rely on the colour coding to tell which plastic is going to be used at any point
that helps, I start ignoring the preview because , the colors are also shifted by extruder offset.

Thanks,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 09:23AM by amigob.

April 09, 2016 09:38AM
Ah yes, that's another whole area of confusion. It seems to be best to put the extruder offsets in the firmware only, and keep the settings in repetier host and slic3r set to 0. Otherwise you can get double correction and endless confusion. I guess you could keep the firmware at 0 and do the compensation in the slic3r - haven't tried that.
April 09, 2016 10:18AM
to late just found out the hard way grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

I have now only slicer offsets :-) lets see

April 09, 2016 10:22AM
April 09, 2016 10:27AM
And that didn't work some how the Z was 2 mm shifted ?????

April 09, 2016 10:30AM
That's weird. Perseverance - once you find a workflow that works it's not soooo bad. Sort of.
April 09, 2016 12:50PM
went back to Repetier firmware setting ( not going to look back. maybe it was me :-) )

so in steps Repetier needs that
Y = 0.5 mm = 320 steps
X = 0.1 mm = 64 steps

and now thinking about the direction plus or minus

April 09, 2016 01:11PM
It's pretty cool to see someone else using that smiling smiley

It's a shame it takes a bit long to print now - I should probably try and find some way of reducing it a bit. I often stop it after a couple of layers of the pegs as the numbers are a bit unnecessary.

The signs depend on which extruder you assigned each part to, and which way it was sitting on the print bed. If you put the base on extruder 0 and the smaller part on extruder 1 (which has the offsets), then if the matching peg is on the axis increasing side of the 0 you need to add more to the offset value. So if your photo has X increasing left to right then you need to add the 64 steps to the existing value (you have 640 steps/mm? That seems high, I think mine is 160). Similarly, if Y is increase from front to back then I think you need to subtract the 320 from the existing offset. But I could be wrong - I have a history of getting my Y axis adjustment backwards !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 01:11PM by JamesK.
April 09, 2016 02:31PM
I use 128 micro stepping for X and Y ( Raps128 )

I thought the same, subtract the 320, we where both wrong , I needed to add it :-)

There is one thing that I really have problems with and that is the skirt, both filaments are printed at the same place so that it sticks way to good to the bed

I need it to get the filament in the nozzle. but I will change that after the IR sensor is working. I will make it possible to extrude filament
in a basket en wipe the nozzle after that on a brush then I dot need skirt any more.

April 09, 2016 02:48PM
These offsets are very confusing! 128 microsteps - I bet that's smooth as silk. That's odd with the skirt, I think they are supposed to be side by side. I had one model where for some reason it didn't bother to do any skirt for the second nozzle, so it was touch and go if it would start extruding when it needed to. Plenty of strangeness in this dual extrusion stuff. Still, it's very neat when it works. I was messing around with putting an abs ball in a pla transparent cube. Silly stuff, but it made me smile.
April 09, 2016 05:14PM
with ooze prevention it doesn't do the overlapping skirt, strange,
the skirt was same height as the cat . but it was already breaking apart the last 25%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 05:18PM by amigob.

April 09, 2016 05:29PM
Nice smiling smiley I haven't tried the ooze prevention settings yet, except briefly on the very first print with the temperature variation enabled. I killed the print because of how long it was going to take waiting for the hotend to warm up on every change eye popping smiley
April 09, 2016 05:33PM
I switched off the temperature thing, Takes way to long :-)
Cooling down was the bottle neck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 07:23PM by amigob.

April 10, 2016 07:54AM
V2 cooler with separate filament cooler

dual coooler

it only meeds some small extensions to get the head under the nozzle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 07:56AM by amigob.

April 11, 2016 05:40PM

for this thin wall stuff you need the enclosure I will try one at 280c ( now 260 )
but the object is cooling down to quickly

April 13, 2016 04:55PM
so sensor mount ready, mount everything to the X carrier tomorrow including cooler setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2016 04:55PM by amigob.

April 13, 2016 05:04PM
Beautiful. I'm a big fan of that Al tape - great stuff. I need to get on with a new rev using the nema 14 motors, but it looks like I'm going to have to rework the herringbone gear for the shorter shaft, which is a nuisance as openscad crashes my X server every time I close it down.
April 13, 2016 05:29PM
I need to see if the ABS will hold it is gong to be very hot there, ah lets see :-)

That is he really nice thing about 3D printers, a few hours later and you have a new design ready and printed

April 13, 2016 06:02PM
If you add a layer of insulation around the heater block it really cuts down on the radiated heat, and makes it easier to maintain temperature as well.
April 14, 2016 03:40AM
> add a layer of insulation

Good idea and will do that.
I can only think of one high temperature isolation that I easily can get. That is exhaust isolation. If I remember correctly, they have, with and without adhesive.
Did someone already use that stuff to isolate the heater block ?

April 14, 2016 06:30AM
I have a sheet of insulation for wood stoves on order to try: [www.ebay.ca]

Haven't tried exhaust insulation.
April 14, 2016 11:16AM
I use a ceramic sheet, used for kilns. I was able to find it at a local art store.
[www.scrapbooking-warehouse.com]
April 14, 2016 02:05PM
exhaust isolation : easily to get. Not really :-)

tomorrow to wood stoves shop :-)

April 16, 2016 03:20AM
My chinese e3d clones are insulated with cotton wool pads and Kapton tape, like in cosmetic pads or the like.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login