Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Least Unique Part Count Machine

Posted by marcin_ose 
The Least Unique Part Count Machine
July 07, 2016 04:09PM
Dear RepRap Community,

Our goal is to design a scalable 3D printer with a minimum parts count. Here is our initial concept design (by Marcin Jakubowski and Michel Dhoore):

It is based on the Prusa i3 x axis design. The same drive axis is used throughout.

Who has tried this before? Does anyone see any issues as to why this may not work?

Marcin
Re: The Least Unique Part Count Machine
July 07, 2016 07:17PM
Trinus 3D Printer did it just recently.
July 07, 2016 07:25PM
And they did it with only four linear systems, not the six in your design
July 08, 2016 11:53AM
Yeah but maybe you could do it with just three.
July 08, 2016 12:03PM
MechaBits
Yeah but maybe you could do it with just three.
It's almost like there's a whole subsection here for such a thing winking smiley No maybe about it, delta printer.
July 08, 2016 01:11PM
I mean for Cartesian bot, like mine or the ormerod or similar 3 axis layout.
July 08, 2016 01:31PM
Counting all the rods and necessary linear bearings, I see an issue in the price.
The z-axis is a bit over-engineered with 6 rods/9 linear bearings. The bed could lock up from misalignment.
July 08, 2016 03:30PM
MechaBits
I mean for Cartesian bot, like mine or the ormerod or similar 3 axis layout.
I get that, but the stated point of the thread is to build a bot with a low unique part count. I'd challenge you to create a Cartesian bot with a lower unique part count than a Delta. You have identical "tower" assemblies and identical arms. Top and bottom plates could be the same too.
July 08, 2016 04:17PM
Ok, decent point, but now let's get more rigorous. Count the unique parts for the delta, down to individual nuts etc - and compare to the cartesian. We'll do our count as soon as we finalize the design. Do you have a count for the Delta as a benchmark?
July 08, 2016 06:42PM
marcin_ose
Ok, decent point, but now let's get more rigorous. Count the unique parts for the delta, down to individual nuts etc - and compare to the cartesian. We'll do our count as soon as we finalize the design. Do you have a count for the Delta as a benchmark?
I have a count for "my" delta, but it was designed with my tooling capabilities in mind which are quite extensive. I also used linear guides, which increase the screw count, but I suppose not the unique part count by much. You could lower my parts count greatly by making compromises in adjustability and or precision (using a different guide system) I can tell you that as part of my design process that a significant factor was specifically number of unique parts to make, and a good percentage of the reason I chose a delta design. You want me to count everything? Include motors etc? Are you using a heated bed? Just to compare apples to apples.
I have approx 48 unique parts, this includes each different fastener size (length and diameter) and each individual item in the head/hotend as separates. Includes control board, limit switches and print fan, duct mounts etc. Includes heated bed and it's mounts. Does not include wires or some other power distribution stuff that's only because of the specific setup I have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 08:40PM by Koko76.
July 08, 2016 11:23PM
Linear rails sure will reduce part count, (what could be easier than a motor/idler mount plate with a rail on it) arranging them in a delta shape probably makes for the most stable assembly, though not without it's own issues, but for me the idea of creating linear motion modules was for them to be as modular as I could make them, ie to go together in multiple configurations, things get tricky(especially when trying to have option for quick change belt & leadscrews) the more configurations you try, I've lost count(wow good job I spotted that typo I missed out the O) of the different configurations I've tried, and currently have 3 different Y modules, one which doubles as the Z for the Bionic BoxBot thats taking shape.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2016 06:25PM by MechaBits.
July 19, 2016 03:42PM
MechaBits - this is good, thank you. Would you mind showing a picture of your machine, including label 1-48 for the parts? That sounds like a really good count.

Please see our update on the design - [youtu.be]

Thanks,
Marcin and Michel
July 19, 2016 07:16PM
marcin_ose
MechaBits - this is good, thank you. Would you mind showing a picture of your machine, including label 1-48 for the parts? That sounds like a really good count.

Please see our update on the design - [youtu.be]

Thanks,
Marcin and Michel
I have 48 unique parts not Mechabits. There are tons of designs for deltas posted online including a nice BOM. I don't typically post pictures of my designs sorry.
July 20, 2016 08:36AM
Shades of Uber Blocks
[www.3ders.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login