Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dry Filament Convection Oven Recommendations

Posted by to-the-nth 
Dry Filament Convection Oven Recommendations
September 10, 2016 01:29PM
Need to actively dry ABS & Nylon filament and was wondering if anyone had specific product/model recommendations for a convection oven or food dehydrator.

A min temp of 150F would be ok, but that would be iffy for PLA. Also concerned about the melting point of spools. This will be a multi hour process, so some of the ovens on Amazon that have a max 2hr timer would be cumbersome. A DIY or hack with a PID would be worth considering, but wanted to see if there was something available off the shelf.

Thanks....
Re: Dry Filament Convection Oven Recommendations
September 10, 2016 10:29PM
I use a cardboard box with a 40watt incandescent light bulb in it. I place a cardboard divider between the light bulb and on the spool to be dried to prevent the spool from overheating (and warping) by direct radiation.

I use a cooking meat thermometer to verify the temp, and I have a 12v fan inside to circulate the air.

Seems to dry PLA fine (at 150F) over the course of about 8 hours.
September 10, 2016 11:14PM
@Ezrec - so one vote for DIY instead of Amazon. Can you post a pic?
September 21, 2016 05:31PM
I've seen vacuum chambers with silicone heat pads at the bottom, this would be great for dehydrating filament. Just make sure the silicone pad is run with a controller of some kind, ideally with a PID algorithm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login