Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tuning-free controller to accurately regulate flow rates in a microfluidic network

Posted by Paul Wanamaker 
Tuning-free controller to accurately regulate flow rates in a microfluidic network
September 27, 2016 04:35AM
I came across this interesting paper where they are using an alternative to PID that allows them to control fluid flows in multiple channels simultaneously without tuning, and does not require all the parameters be known.

[www.nature.com]

Nature.com
We describe a control algorithm that can improve accuracy and stability of flow regulation in a microfluidic network that uses a conventional pressure pump system. The algorithm enables simultaneous and independent control of fluid flows in multiple micro-channels of a microfluidic network, but does not require any model parameters or tuning process. We investigate robustness and optimality of the proposed control algorithm and those are verified by simulations and experiments. In addition, the control algorithm is compared with a conventional PID controller to show that the proposed control algorithm resolves critical problems induced by the PID control.

The supplementary info also contains an overview of the program.

Enjoy.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
VDX
Re: Tuning-free controller to accurately regulate flow rates in a microfluidic network
September 27, 2016 05:55AM
... if you're interested in microfluidics and innovative pumping/moving methodes for gasses and liquids, then I can support you with some methodes I've developed for scientific projects and evaluation tests some years ago.

Some are based around ferrofluids or rheologic systems for direct or indirect use, others needs microvalve-arrays and oscillating pressure -- and some "radical new" ideas/inventions too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Viktor,
Thank you for the offer of help.

My interest is to discover if this can be used as an alternative to PID for different areas including temperature control for Reprap, and servo loops.
I haven't dug into the algorithm yet but I'm very curious if it can be adapted. I can see that some of the math notation is a bit over my head.

If it can be used, it will save a lot of headaches for a lot of people - no more PID tuning...

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
VDX
Re: Tuning-free controller to accurately regulate flow rates in a microfluidic network
September 27, 2016 02:47PM
... I'm sort of waiting on some of the "genetic" approaches to get complex problems solved - some twenty years ago there were some developments around ANN's (Artificial Neural-Networks) and Fuzzy-Logic IC's, but nowadays the microcontrollers are developed/fast enough to do some of this on their own.

AFAIK there were some "Machine-Learning" programs for optimizing high dynamic CNC-machines, what's a bit more complex than optimizing PID settings.

So maybe you'll search here for better ideas ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login