Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multi-Nozzle Variable Width Extruder to accelerate printing

Posted by jldevroet 
Multi-Nozzle Variable Width Extruder to accelerate printing
October 02, 2016 08:07AM
Hi All,

Here are the results of some experiments with a multi-nozzle variable width extruder. Since the speed of printing with one nozzle is so slow, I've been thinking about some alternatives. See the attached file for the results so far.

The basic idea that I am implementing is to have multiple nozzles in a row and let a servo control how many of these nozzles are going to do actual extrusion. This will make it possible to have multiple extrusion nozzles active at the same time. Of course, it will still be needed to print perimeters with 1 nozzle. But filling the volumes can be accelerated to a large extent by this principle.

Although I only have some prototyping results so far, I'd like to share the idea now to the community.

Let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Johan de Vroet
Attachments:
open | download - Multi-nozzle- variable width extruder.pdf (267.5 KB)
Re: Multi-Nozzle Variable Width Extruder to accelerate printing
October 02, 2016 10:23AM
Interesting idea!
The whole arrangement of the nozzles should rotate instead of building two or more nozzle rows in different angles.
The amount of molten filament is limited and will probably cause problems feeding all nozzles with equal pressure.

Maybe a rotating rod is better against leakage. You would have to drill radial holes into the rod to let the filament pass at certain angles. The first nozzle doesn't need to be blocked, the second nozzle has three holes, the third nozzle has two holes and so on...
October 02, 2016 12:22PM
Thanks for the comment!

I like the idea of rotating the whole arrangement, it will require an additional servo but that would be needed anyway if there are parallel rows.

Also the idea of a rotating rod is definitely one to try, I did consider something like it but not with the purpose of reducing leakage - thanks

As regards the pressure I did some initial extrusion tests and the pressure seems to be quite even as long as there is enough filament on the side of the holes(not too close to the edges of the chamber with molten filament). Actually I was positively surprised by these initial tests.

Best regards,

Johan de Vroet
October 02, 2016 03:08PM
Great concept! I'm working on a similar concept. It's really interesting. I sent a PM to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login