Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap + scara arm to assemble printed parts?

Posted by wleferrand 
Reprap + scara arm to assemble printed parts?
December 28, 2016 04:19PM
Hi,

First post here, but prusa i3 user for about a year (recently prototyped a portable autopilot for light airplanes, [youtu.be] - [github.com])

I'm wondering if it would make sense to attach a scara arm (or some kind of robotic arm) to a 3d printer and to try print & assemble simple objects automatically (or even assemble a new rep-rap from vitamins & 3d printed parts). Has anyone heard of a similar project? I looked around & couldn't find anything, so maybe I could give it a try smiling smiley

Thanks

william
VDX
Re: Reprap + scara arm to assemble printed parts?
December 28, 2016 04:59PM
Hi William,

the hardware for this is no problem - the software is.

You can search for "pick'n place" or "micro assembly" - I've seen several threads about refurbishing old electronic assembly stations or building new ones from scratch ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 28, 2016 05:45PM
Thanks Viktor. Indeed the hardware seems to be readily available - there even are a couple of machines on ebay that could move parts around. If I get one, put a webcam in front of it and somehow connect everything to the internet, would anyone be interested in trying to remote-assemble objects?

What I'm trying to do is to bootstrap an "open-source village" (but it is a much longer story smiling smiley) - and the first step is to come up with a process that would enable remote people to contribute - hence the idea of a "remote-controlled" workshop (or at least partially remote-controlled; there would be people onsite anyways).
December 29, 2016 03:06AM
Why would anyone want to take all the fun off RepRaping? winking smiley
December 29, 2016 05:42PM
Well it's 10x the fun, now you have to program assembly machines on top of the printer itself smiling smiley
December 30, 2016 01:39AM
I think that wleferrand has missed the point of reprap

It not just a 3d printer, that just where most are stuck at the moment.

Its meant to be a completely self replicating machine.
December 30, 2016 02:42AM
Ha - Actually I thought I totally got the point: I'm talking of adding a robotic arm to the machine so that it can assemble its descendants!
January 13, 2017 02:18AM
Interesting concept, but at least one problem I see with it is bed adhesion. Good bed adhesion = tough time for any robotic manipulator to remove the part to assemble it. Bad adhesion = bad prints.
VDX
January 13, 2017 03:16AM
... or use one of the methodes with "switching" adhesion or fixtures ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 13, 2017 01:45PM
Ha great point, I was actually thinking of swapping the glass between prints.

I'm building a prototype (on my spare time, which isn't much), with a prusa and the thor robotic arm. We'll see how it goes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login