Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Self made 3d printers - open source or commercial? Two 3d printers in one case

Posted by rarprint 
Self made 3d printers - open source or commercial? Two 3d printers in one case
October 18, 2017 03:22PM
Hi all!

My name is Mikhail, 28 years old. I am free engineer from Siberia, Russia. May be someone know me from these open source project, that I made 3 years ago RAR Print - Open source, low-cost, photopolymer 3D printer/.

Last year I repaired UP!plus2 3d printer. It is made a good impression on me and worked for a long time, but... all the engineers have to improve things and I could not resist and made a prototype smiling smiley

This prototype metamorphosis printer of two, same as Up plus: Two 3d printers in one case.

The main idea was to increase print speed and decision is two printers in one case. It is have two independent extruders, Y and Z axis. It is allow print different objects same time or one with two extruders.

But this construction has one beautiful adwantage. If you combine both platforms with one sheet of glass or etc. it will have doubled large build plate see explonation pic below:

This function was not realised because im not programmer and couldn't connect together two adruino mega 2560.
Electronics from back side:

But I made first prototype and tested in for year. It is good for making small objects (Build volume of one platform is 150x150x150mm).

If you interested in, see short video of 3d printing process and please write your suggestions and questions below: It is need to be open source or ready build commercial printer. If more people decide to open source I will add all source files for free.
Bracelet 3d printing on double platforms

Another example of 3d printing process on RAR Print Double

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:28PM by rarprint.

RAR Print
Re: Self made 3d printers - open source or commercial? Two 3d printers in one case
November 04, 2017 02:43AM
Hi I am currently pursuing inkjet and hybrid cnc for opensource, You have a very similar setup up as the hybrid. Have you looked into RAMPS and the mega? I am looking at it and I feel it could run dual extruders. Aux 2 has the pins required.
Anyways I am interested to hear your thoughts on running two separate cncs off one mega.
Are you using two computers to run them or printing from SD cards?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Self made 3d printers - open source or commercial? Two 3d printers in one case
November 04, 2017 06:40AM
Hi all! thank u for questions.

In back side of 3d printer I moun two Arduino MEGA 2560 +Ramps 1.4 + RepRap full graphic display (front side). One board run one side of 3d printer. You can print directly trhrough USB from computer. But I print from SD card via RepRap full graphic display

At this render you can see two boards mounted on 12V 30A power supply.

Novadays I try to find decision how to run two build platform as one large same time. It is give advantage to use this 3d printer as one with large platform (150 x300 mm) and print large objects if it is need
November 04, 2017 08:15AM
Have you looked at Klipper firmware? It's still in development and since recently has a feature to control multiple controller boards. You'll need to add raspberry pi to your setup. It's not a drop in solution but I think it would the most cost effective and high performance.

Here's thread with more info:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?147,667655,page=6
November 05, 2017 02:15AM
newbob
Have you looked at Klipper firmware? It's still in development and since recently has a feature to control multiple controller boards. You'll need to add raspberry pi to your setup. It's not a drop in solution but I think it would the most cost effective and high performance.

Here's thread with more info:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?147,667655,page=6

Very interesting! thanks for sharing link. I try some time ago octopi on Raspberry Pi3 board. This is my frist work with rasp boards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login