Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High speed, high volume flow rate printing

Posted by deckingman 
High speed, high volume flow rate printing
October 14, 2018 09:05AM
Just finished some more testing and development along the lines of this title if anyone is interested. Be warned that it is a long and somewhat involved post.
[somei3deas.wordpress.com]

There is an associated YouTube video. It's about 25 minutes long but the first 12 minutes or so are probably the most interesting if you are short of time.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Re: High speed, high volume flow rate printing
December 01, 2018 02:18AM
I must've missed that thread. Very impressive thumbs up
What if you'd use one NEMA23 extruder instead of three Bondtech ( $$$ )? Approximately same weight or even less.
Would it rip out the Bowden tube?
Would it melt fast enough? (only one meltchamber instead of three). Maybe a longer melt chamber would do the trick...
December 09, 2018 12:10PM
o_lampe
I must've missed that thread. Very impressive thumbs up
What if you'd use one NEMA23 extruder instead of three Bondtech ( $$$ )? Approximately same weight or even less.
Would it rip out the Bowden tube?
Would it melt fast enough? (only one meltchamber instead of three). Maybe a longer melt chamber would do the trick...

It's about the melt rate. It doesn't matter how hard you try and force the filament into the hot end if you can't melt it at that rate. All that happens is that you grind away the filament at best or as you say, build up so much pressure that the Bowden tubes get forced out.

Three melt cambers give you two things. Firstly the 3 fold increase in hot surface to filament area. Secondly, each filament gets fed in at 1/3rd of the speed so the time to pass through the melt chambers is increased 3 fold for each filament.

If my maths serve me correctly, the volume melt rates I observed were higher than those reported for an E3D Volcano which uses a single, long, melt chamber.

[www.youtube.com]
December 09, 2018 07:26PM
have you seen [www.3ders.org] ?

MIT's attempt to speed up printers
VDX
December 10, 2018 03:04AM
... hmmm ... MIT managed to get a patent on "laser-preheating" the filament, what we were discussing here in the forum 10 years ago ... so the patent attorneys didn't find the "prior art" infos confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 10, 2018 04:50AM
VDX
... hmmm ... MIT managed to get a patent on "laser-preheating" the filament, what we were discussing here in the forum 10 years ago ... so the patent attorneys didn't find the "prior art" infos confused smiley

Just saw this.
Indeed you mentioned the use of a laser to heat thoroughly the filament.
Yet, what triggered my attention is the threaded nut to push the filament. I thought about a similar system but due to the dust generated by the cut envisioned devised an other way by using rollers.

Here they solved this issue by using a threaded filament ! Yet, dust should still be generated . Fast and frequent retraction is an other potential issue.

I assumed that publishing on the net would be valid as "prior art" if backed by pictures of a working device ? (Even disguised in an other "design" to fool thieves)

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
December 10, 2018 05:15AM
I don't think pushing force is an issue. If you can melt the filament fast enough, then it doesn't take much force to push it through. Something like an E3D titan or a Bondtech BMG (my personal preference) is more than up to the job. Only if you try to push filament into the hot end faster than it can melt, does force become an issue (but a higher force won't solve the problem or allow you to print faster).

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login