Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large-scale ReRap?

Posted by ORDarling 
Large-scale ReRap?
May 23, 2011 08:01AM
I'm a graduate student and teaching assistant at the University of Maine in the Intermedia MFA program. We are currently in the final planning and initial purchasing phases of a new multi-million dollar New Media facility that will have substantial prototyping, 3-D printing, and other related equipment. I've been assigned a number of research, planning, and implementation tasks for the summer. We are planning to purchase a commercial solution for one of our primary 3-D printing units, but I'm looking into the feasibility of building large scale RepRap systems for our other printers. Our goal is something with a capacity in the neighborhood of a few feet per side instead of a few inches. If one does not yet exist, we are interested in helping to develop a prototype. Is there currently anything along these lines in existence or under development in the RepRap community?
Re: Large-scale ReRap?
May 23, 2011 08:30AM
There are several, the Mendel Apollo being the first.
Also the LeBigRep.
There are others...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
VDX
May 23, 2011 08:32AM
... i'm developing a conversion-kit for using a comercial gantry-style CNC-mill as repstrap - essentially it's a replacement of the original interface-card of the CNC-controller by reprap-electonics (i have Gen3 and RAMPS).

My mill has a working area of 550x500x90mm, but with bigger traveling ranges you can have a bigger machine too.

You have to calculate and adjust your desired building size againts the accuracy and building speeds - it's no fun to wait some days (or weeks), until a piece of maybe 1x1x1m with an accuracy of 0.1 to 0.3mm is built ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 26, 2012 12:07PM
big print 45x45x35 cm.
[www.youtube.com]
July 24, 2012 01:32PM
Look at `kamermaker', a collaboration between Ultimaker and Architects. Its a 3*3*2 m^3 AFAIR
At September 25th it will be unveilled IIRC
August 12, 2012 11:44AM
this is what i am planning to make. it was suppose to be 1x1x1m but i cant fit that in my bedroom LOL ... i think actual should have a small X (800mm?) but higher Z (1200mm?).

it is based loosely on cartesian, and some inspiration from ultimaker, bits here and there. i have yet to start, still gathering proper parts grinning smiley. i have dumped some money in getting 20 steppers to test even LOL !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 11:46AM by redreprap.
Attachments:
open | download - test.pdf (26.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login