Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to program/reuse broken boards?

Posted by IamTheVector 
How to program/reuse broken boards?
September 15, 2019 06:24AM
All of us has many driver integrated boards with some faulty driver laying around. So my question is, is there a way to program just a behaviour of the board? Let's make an example.

If Temp of thermisto reach 100 then move motor 1 100 steps
If endstop x is pressed move motor right, if endstop y move motor letf

etc..

Is there an easy way trough marlin or repetier to use the same settings and config ( so you dont have to assign pins and do the math ) but programming just a behaviour?

I hope it was clear.
Re: How to program/reuse broken boards?
September 15, 2019 06:31AM
no...

you cant tell steppers to move 100 steps, not unless you set steps/mm to 1

you cant tell stepper just to move left or right like that at all, needs a distance and a feed rate

Its far simpler to ditch the current firmware for this sort of thing
September 15, 2019 05:40PM
You badly misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about the theory of stepper motors. What I'm asking is.

Is there a way to program behaviours in firmware? Like to write a condition and an action.

If the end stop is pressed move the motor.
If button is pressed open the mosfet.
VDX
September 15, 2019 06:21PM
... isn't general programming meant for such conditions?

If the board is functional, and you have the infos how to handle it, you can reprogram the "firmware" by any means ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2019 02:21AM
If it is a RUMBA or any other Atmel based board what you have is an Arduino with sensors and drivers. It is not very hard to write own code for it that measures heat and moves a motor. You don't need, or want, the firmware. Just think oif the printer board as a better CNC shield.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 16, 2019 03:06AM
IamTheVector
You badly misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about the theory of stepper motors. What I'm asking is.

Is there a way to program behaviours in firmware? Like to write a condition and an action.

Yes it, is called "programming behaviors in firmware".

You seem to badly misunderstand computers and most probably electronic resulting in such pile of "broken boards" that often can be fixed. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 03:07AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 16, 2019 01:14PM
MKSA
IamTheVector

You seem to badly misunderstand computers and most probably electronic resulting in such pile of "broken boards" that often can be fixed. smiling smiley

I dont have any pile of broken boards but i have plenty laying around in our fablab, since i'm one of the co-founder and board of directors of it, and here and then people give us broken things to reouse in our projects.
I am also the owner of an electronic patent for lithium polimer battery accumulators, and i taught in at leat 7 arduino programming classes, also working in industrial automation with the role of special machinery design for the automotive industry.

So the next time you want to bully somone, just pick up a better prey.

Srek
If it is a RUMBA or any other Atmel based board what you have is an Arduino with sensors and drivers. It is not very hard to write own code for it that measures heat and moves a motor. You don't need, or want, the firmware. Just think oif the printer board as a better CNC shield.

In theory yes, but also no. Without firmware i need to reassign and give all the pins, rewrite all the stepper commands, it basically means write a firmware from scratch, something i basically i dont need and dont want since it's a waste of time. If you figure out that different board has different pins assignement it means i should read and study all the electronic datasheet in order to make simple project, DOUBLE waste of time. , at this rate i prefer to buy standalone drivers and arduino etc, but i want to reuse board with burned stepper driver.
Let's make an example. Let's say i would like to move the motor in some direction, at a certain speed in the exact moment the printer turns it on. Where should i put this code? And what is this code? Even some example and some indication and where more or less this code should be could help me, i'm able to figure out the next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 01:17PM by IamTheVector.
VDX
September 16, 2019 01:41PM
... what's the probelm with rewriting some code for your needs?

Here an actual example -- programmed the (pretty simple) control for a stirring device "from scratch" ... but with a new Uno, not a reworked one:

[vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2019 02:03PM
VDX
... what's the probelm with rewriting some code for your needs?

Here an actual example -- programmed the (pretty simple) control for a stirring device "from scratch" ... but with a new Uno, not a reworked one:

[vimeo.com]

I know how to make this with new stuff, but i would like to reuse melzi board, cr.10 boards that i have around with one or two burned driver. Making a system from zero is quite easy for me.

This is one of my projects.

[www.youtube.com]
September 16, 2019 02:16PM
IamTheVector
MKSA
IamTheVector

I dont have any pile of broken boards but i have plenty laying around in our fablab, since i'm one of the co-founder and board of directors of it, and here and then people give us broken things to reouse in our projects.
I am also the owner of an electronic patent for lithium polimer battery accumulators, and i taught in at leat 7 arduino programming classes, also working in industrial automation with the role of special machinery design for the automotive industry.

So the next time you want to bully somone, just pick up a better prey.

I reacted that way due to your remark to Dust stating he badly misunderstood you.

Fact is, you did a good job in getting misunderstood !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login