Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Documenting a printer design on reprap.org

Posted by MortarArt 
Documenting a printer design on reprap.org
November 07, 2019 06:21PM
I've been developing a coreXY printer for a while now, and I think it's now at a point where it's a useful enough design to be documented for other people, but I'm not certain that Thingiverse is the place to do that. It's where I've been dumping STLs up until this point. Is it considered appropriate for someone to self-publish a printer on reprap.org, and what are the criteria that I should satisfy before doing so? Happy to license it freely and widely.

The talking points of the printer to make the case for publication:

1. Possible to build with hand tools.
2. Built with a balance of performance & budget in mind.
3. An emphasis on the use of E-waste in construction, or as an "upgrade" from cheap printers.
4. Hopefully compatible with future tool-changing developments.
Re: Documenting a printer design on reprap.org
November 08, 2019 01:24AM
How about storing the STLs in a github repository, and linking to that repo from a page on reprap.org?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 08, 2019 01:52AM
I am always impressed that you are in so ready to give good answers on nearly anything reprap related.

You think it would be appropriate to structure it like that?

I think that sounds like a good suggestion.
November 09, 2019 02:55AM
Yes I think that's a good structure. Use Github to hold the technical details and record changes to the design. The page on reprap.org can have photos, the printer specification, and a brief summary.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login