Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple linear rail cube 3D printer with Duet 2 Wifi

Posted by perklus 
Simple linear rail cube 3D printer with Duet 2 Wifi
December 01, 2019 07:08AM
Hi guys,
I have recently made a new 3D printer and I´d like to know what do you think about it. Any comments, critics or discussion are welcome.
Here is a link.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3953873
Thank you very much.
Re: Simple linear rail cube 3D printer with Duet 2 Wifi
December 13, 2019 11:24AM
Hi Petr
That is one serious printer!!
Seems to be well capable of high quality at high speed.

I see some of the comments on thingiverse don't seem to like the Y axis. I have an Ender3pro that uses the same technique and I was surprised by just how rigid it is. I suspect your design will be fine as it is.

I certainly wouldn't recommend fitting another Y motor. That could be difficult if not impossible to keep two Y motors precisely synchronised. I have had this problem in the past. You have to increase the voltage on the stepper driver quite a bit. Otherwise you get an effect where one motor moves a bit and then the other one catches up. Causes a really weird side to side type motion. It is difficult to see in the mechanics when the printer is working but you can see it in the finish of the part. On the Z axis it makes no difference because they have synchronised by the time the next layer starts but on an X or Y it can cause some head scratching!!

You seem to have enough room and rigidity to fit a direct drive extruder and do away with the bowden? I think that would definitely be worth considering if you haven't already. It would help raise the extruder control quality to the same level as the rest of the printer. You could also increase the speed of the extruder to match the capability of the chassis.

Either way that is a very solid and capable printer.

Mike

P.S. My post is the one below yours. The Reprap community are not very forthcoming with comments are they??
Re: Simple linear rail cube 3D printer with Duet 2 Wifi
December 13, 2019 02:18PM
Hi Mike,
I am really happy that there finally is somebody who understands my intention with axis Y spinning smiley sticking its tongue out . In my opinion, bowden is better because it doesn't add another weight to X carriage, however this is discutable. I recently upgraded extruder with Nema 23 motor and it prints better. I will add it to thingiverse when I have enough time (I hope it won't take more than few days...).
Sincerely
Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login