Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I've built a metal 3D printer - Is anyone interested in testing it out?

Posted by DerM4209 
I've built a metal 3D printer - Is anyone interested in testing it out?
March 03, 2020 03:04AM
I'm working on a metal 3D printer which can print with welding wire instead of plastic filament which melts by a high current flowing through it.
At the moment, the printer is operable but I'm still looking for the right slicer settings. The machine is compatible with all slicer software for normal fdm printers and at all very similar.
It would be nice if someone is interested in building it and testing it out. It would also be nice to hear your opinion on it or maybe any suggestions.
Here is the project on Hackaday.io
Re: I've built a metal 3D printer - Is anyone interested in testing it out?
March 05, 2020 01:25PM
Looks like a guided MIG welder.

A MIG welder's best friend is a grinder?

confused smiley
March 09, 2020 03:41PM
Hi cozmicray,
yes I think so grinning smiley

The printer is actually an evolved spot welder, built from an old microwave oven transformer with a 3D printer around it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 03:51PM by DerM4209.
December 28, 2020 08:58AM
Hi,

this really caught my interests. I am about to get investment to my FDM 3D printer startup and in long term - this looks interesting.

1) What are the estimated costs of printing (not only for the material but also with printer investment to paid out,with labour costs) from the perspective of consumer?
2) After printing what is necessary to do (like brushing, removing supports and so on)? What would be typical application of the prints?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login