Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 Axis Printing Open Source Toolchain?

Posted by usertogo 
5 Axis Printing Open Source Toolchain?
February 10, 2021 11:59AM
I have been thinking about it for a long time from CNC Mast Winder to 5 Axis Printing
I am pretty sure the hardware as well as the controller firmware can be implemented with available RepRap Open Source projects...
Just my knowledge about the Slicer/CAM integration is lacking, and I can't imagine finding the time to write something from scrach...

So I would like to hear ideas how existing solutions might have been, or could possibly be expanded upon to create a suite of solutions that could make a movement to 5 Axis RepRap possible?

Thanks for participating!
VDX
Re: 5 Axis Printing Open Source Toolchain?
February 10, 2021 12:18PM
... most "cheap" 5-axis systems uses a "3+2" arrangement -- here the 4.+5. axis are set by tilt+pan to change the world-coordinate basis, then the software moves conventionally with XYZ coordinates ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 10, 2021 12:53PM
Yes I was thinking that if I started with a conventional stationary build plate and just added a rotational axis (Turntable) the object printed would have the least adhesion problems due to load changes.
Then I would have a Z lifted COREXY platform which could either:
- have a have a printhead that has just one added axis which could point the head Backward down and maybe also forward. In this configuration that Build cylinder could be much bigger and effectively also provide a somewhat continious printing feature; also if multiple Printers/Tools could reach the rotating build plate from different angles various colors or materials could be applied to the objects in print which may also allow for some continious manufacturing use of the invention
- If the printhead would do both axis itself the rotational build surface would be more optional
- rotating the entire Z lifted COREXY surface along one axis is also doable

thats all of them that I like to think about right now...
But that generation of gcodes issue - I mean the code base has lots to learn - cause we are honestly not even deserving of calling it 3D printing yet!
Imagine the amount of strength if you printed a Propeller and used the available angle from the hot end tip to follow the line a bit further !?

Surface quality could also gain a lot!
So a bit of code that changes the world is what I am looking for!
February 10, 2021 08:06PM
VDX
February 11, 2021 01:17AM
... seems to be eactly this "3+2" setup, I've mentioned -- the question now: which CAD and slicer to use?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login