Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet

Posted by likha3d 
Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet
August 01, 2021 09:13PM
Hello everyone! I’m excited to introduce Luna, a 3D printer controller with a focus on network connectivity that I've been developing for the past few months. Here’s a little tour of the hardware:

Other things to note about Luna:

1. Runs RepRapFirmware. Feature set is based on Duet 3 Mini 5+, with some changes:
- On-board WiFi and Ethernet
- One dual-port driver
- Five on-board regulators: (1) 5V, 3A + 3.3V, 1A for core components (2) 5V 3A + 3.3V, 1A for expansions such as NeoPixel, EXP1, EXP2, etc. and (3) 12V, 3A for 12V devices
- More input/outputs (IO0 - IO6)

2. Dual processor design: ESP32-S3 + SAM E5 microcontroller. ESP32-S3 is a dual-core, 240 MHZ WiFi + Bluetooth SoC with 8MB flash, 512K SRAM; handles networking, storage (SD card) and interfaces (USB, PanelDue, RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller).
SAM E5 is a Cortex-M4F microcontroller running at 120 Mhz, with 512KB flash and 196K SRAM; handles kinematics, stepping, digital/analog IO and other real-time control.

3. Will have open schematics and PCB design, created with KiCad. Firmware will also be open (goes without saying as it is RepRapFirmware).

There is still some work to be done, but I’m hoping to do a crowdfunding campaign in the future. This thread is open to questions; suggestions are also welcome and may make it to the final hardware as long as it’s not a major change. You may also just express general interest, if you have no questions/suggestions smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2021 09:16PM by likha3d.
Re: Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet
August 02, 2021 07:43AM
Is it open source?
If so, where can we find the firmware fork etc?

Based in Darlington, North East
August 02, 2021 08:12AM
Both hardware (schematics + layout) and firmware will be open source. However, the designs and code are in a private repository for now. I plan to release the code and design files to the public shortly before delivery to backers (from the crowdfunding I plan to do).
August 15, 2021 09:58PM
Another sneak peak!

Issuing an M115 (Get Firmware Version and Capabilities) command:

Driving stepper motors:

August 30, 2021 09:43PM
It's printing!

September 23, 2021 01:02AM
Luna is now Phi! Pre-launch page is also up, see announcement on [reprap.org]
November 24, 2021 04:41PM
Campaign is live!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 05:02PM by likha3d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login