Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The world's first 6 input, single nozzle, multi-material hot end?

Posted by deckingman 
The world's first 6 input, single nozzle, multi-material hot end?
November 10, 2021 09:16AM
This is a follow on from my earlier multi-input mixing hot end designs. I believe it might be the worlds first hot end capable of printing multiple materials at up to 350 deg C whilst maintaining the temperature of other loaded filaments at less than 200 deg C. That is to say with this single hot end, I could potentially print a 6 part object with each part made from a different material ranging from say PLA at around 200 deg C up to PC at around 320 deg C or higher and the PLA would not get "cooked". It also has the capability to combine filaments with similar thermal characteristics and because it has 6 melt chambers, it could also be used with very large nozzle diameters requiring very high flow rates.

Link here if anyone is interested (and there is a bit of an appeal at the end). [youtu.be]

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Re: The world's first 6 input, single nozzle, multi-material hot end?
November 15, 2021 05:55AM
Part 2 is out now if anyone is interested [youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]
December 07, 2021 10:55AM
Part 4 is out now if anyone is interested. I've tested extrusion with a wide range of filaments from lowly PLA/PET-G/ABS to things like Carbon Fibre Nylon, PC-ABS, Graphene PLA, Composite HTPLA, PVA, Polypropylene and TPU, at varying nozzle temperatures up to 290 deg C whilst maintaining all the other 5 loaded filaments at much lower temperatures. I'm very encouraged by the results which show that it might indeed be possible to print parts using multiple different filaments with wildly different temperature requirements, from the same nozzle, without any of the other loaded filaments being overheated. [youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]
September 09, 2022 07:10AM
I'm resurrecting this old thread because, after a long and bumpy road, I've finally developed my 6 input hot end to the point where I can now print and switch between, almost any filament type from Carbon fibre Nylon, to flexible filaments such as TPU, whilst retaining the ability to combine similar filament types for multi colour printing. Link to YouTube video here if anyone is interested - it'll take 23 minutes of your life to watch it fully [youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]
VDX
September 09, 2022 08:19AM
... good job! smileys with beer -- would be nice to see something more ... but be aware of copycats and such eye rolling smiley

One of my "multimaterial" projects goes into similar direction, but more like much thinner filaments or wires (1mm down to 0,03mm) ... comparable to FDM, but different melting/fusing methode smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login