Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Local Area activity

Posted by rrr7 
Local Area activity
July 28, 2013 06:12PM
There are still REPRAPers here.
For new activity, start a new thread and Private Message anyone you want to invite- that should work.
ranjiet, you can ask any questions you like, I get email notifications on PMs and active threads that I have responded to before and would be glad to help as would everyone in the forum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 09:10AM by rrr7.
Re: Local Area activity
July 29, 2013 08:12AM
Hello rrr…thanks for starting this tread.

Over the last few weeks, I developed interest in the world 3D printing and have been looking on the internet and been reading up on it. Initially, I didn’t know anything about building one’s own 3D printer, so I was almost about to buy the Cube by 3DSYSTEMS. But, when I came across a website about building a 3D printer at home, was both fascinated and intrigued by the idea and have spent several more days exploring that idea, which is when I came across this website.
Since then, I have been looking on where to buy parts for the printer. I noticed in one of the posts by mfgman that he ordered parts from McMaster-Carr and Misumi for his build, and that you had one of your friends print out the plastics for your printer. Mfgman mentioned that he was building a MendelMax, but I am not entirely sure which model you built. I am thinking about building the i3 model myself.
However, I would like to improve upon, if I could, on the standard build envelope (200x200x190mm) the i3 offers to 300x300x300mm. I know I will have to make changes to certain components that would be necessary for this build and to be perfectly honest, I am not sure if it is worth the trouble. I would like your input on this idea. This is the list of components, which I have noticed, needed to build a standard i3.

[reprap.org]

What I am thinking, is to download the STL files for the plastic components, export them into SolidWorks, create the rods as part files, make the assembly of the lot and perform a stress analysis of the build to see what changes I would need to make the parts inorder to accommodate the larger build envelope! Of course, I know this is easier said than done, but I am hoping, I can accomplish the task!
Assuming, all of the above mentioned is done, and assuming that the parts in the standard i3 kit will not suffice for the larger volume, would you happen to know anyone who can print custom parts?

Thanks again for the time you took to create this new thread and for reading this note from me. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
RJ.
Re: Local Area activity
August 01, 2013 10:22PM
ranjiet,
I built a Mendel Prusa v1 derivative with an inverted z-axis. Here is my blog .
There are plenty of models that have already been developed to choose from and a couple have large build volumes if you want to save yourself some headaches and time.
If you want to modify a design to your liking- have a blast!
There are also projects that the REPRAP group have on a to-do list if you are feeling ambitious. just fyi-
I do not know anyone locally who prints parts any longer, sorry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login