Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap arrives in Calgary

Posted by boarboar 
RepRap arrives in Calgary
September 01, 2010 01:15AM
A RepMan Version 3 (Darwin) purchased as a kit from Bits from Bytes was assembled in Calgary June 12th, 2010. I'm still having a little trouble calibrating it. I’m happy to get together with anyone else interested in these printers.

Brian
Attachments:
open | download - 1st project printed.jpg (264.8 KB)
Re: RepRap arrives in Calgary
September 01, 2010 03:53AM
Brian, I need to fill in the other 150 missing RUG wiki pages, and then I'll do up a shout-out using the main blog. You may get some colleagues that way. smiling bouncing smiley

Also, I'd be honored if you join us in the reprap-dev mailing list. It's not necessarily too BfB-targeted, but we're good folk.

(I should have called this stuff "RepRap Developer Groups".)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 01, 2010 11:36PM
Brian,

Check out the BitsFromBytes forum if you haven't already. There are lots of people there who will be more than happy to help you with your teething problems. I've had a Rapman 3 since last November. It's a good, solid machine well worth the price. :-)

Forrest

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
September 08, 2010 08:00AM
@SebastienBailard: Clicking on your signature developer mailing list link takes you to a page where you get the error "404 Not Found".

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 07, 2010 12:36AM
I am currently looking to purchase one myself, found it at Botmill.com for $980 CAD and the one from Bits from Bytes is around $1300 CAD. The one from BfB however does look like a new and improved version of the laser-cut Mendel I was originally looking at. Any advice for a first time buyer? I've been working with 3D modelling for some time and would like to print anything and everything.....larger print area is a main concern of mine.

Thanks!

C
TVW
October 13, 2010 02:03AM
Hi ,
I just discovered this site today. I never heard of these before but they sound Pretty Cool. My brother is a Electronic Tech and is into Robots up in Edmonton. Where can a guy find the plans or such for one of these units?
October 13, 2010 04:19AM
TVW,

You can find them here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel/Files

You'll probably find the plans useful if you already have a RepRap or RepStrap. (But we've got a marketplace forum where people will gladly sell you a set of parts.)

What_Tooling_Do_You_Have? smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 14, 2010 12:11AM
i am interested in a meet up after xmas i will be in calgary for a few days after.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 11, 2011 11:56PM
I'm in Calgary and interested in building some kind of 3D printer (be it RepRap or otherwise), would someone be interested in a loaner deal or helping me out?

In general, how much would it cost in materials if it's being printed on someone else's machine? I assume you still have to buy and ship the motors, PCB etc...

I have access to a milling machine / general shop and (limitedly) an industrial deposition machine at SAIT, if that helps the construction at all...

Thanks!
-Brennan
January 12, 2011 12:06AM
the motors and pcb are not all that hard to get, just costly, i would offer to help but i am not that far along yet. you could offer to buy some one a 10 lbs role of stock in exchange i would go for that my self

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 12, 2011 12:25AM
Alright, thanks anyway.

-Brennan
January 22, 2011 09:55AM
Hi Brennan,
I started this thread but I've been negligent in responding. I'm here in Calgary and you're welcome to come by sometime and see my RepMan if that helps.

Brian
January 22, 2011 01:12PM
i think these are the hardest threads to get active, i am trying to get more people to use the sask one my self but there are only a small hand full of us out here.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
ChAz
Lasercut Mendel in Calgary
January 29, 2011 06:37PM
Recently purchased Lasercut Mendel entire kit including all components and 5lb roll of PLA. This kit is in Calgary and all boxed up. I opened it and did inventory, however won't get around to putting it together as a recent change in plans in my life is taking me out west. Paid about $1100 altogether (purchase + shipping), asking $900. Have a look.

[calgary.kijiji.ca]

Thanks.
October 01, 2011 05:16PM
Hello,

I live in Calgary, and have assembled a mendal reprap. Unfortunately I have yet to make it work properly. Any one available to discuss? currently I have the red debug light flashing and can intermittently control the axis....very strange

Keith
October 02, 2011 06:43PM
I have the older RepMan Darwin. I'm probably not the best person for troubleshooting but you might get some interest and help from people at Protospace [www.protospace.ca]. I've been a member for several months and we just moved into a new space way down south. You are welcome to show up any Tuesday evening. No guarantees on the help but if you show up with a new machine, I guarantee you will get people’s attention and there are lots of good trouble shooting people.
Brian
May 14, 2012 06:29PM
I am a web developer in Calgary's east side, and will be putting together the heavy duty version with an extra pulley to enable high speed printing. Looking for anyone in Calgary that can give some insight, or wants to build together.

Let me know if interested,
May 14, 2012 07:24PM
Hi, I've since purchased an Ultimaker, but the RepRap is still going. There are now several of us here in Calgary with different 3D printers who could help you out. Most of us hang out at Protospace (http://www.protospace.ca/). We’re open to the public Tuesday nights at 7:00pm, come check us out.
You should also check out this comparison of printers:
[www.protoparadigm.com]
May 14, 2012 07:38PM
i may be moving back to calgary, i will look into the hacker space, and i would love to meet other reprappers too.

kinda a shame i will be taking about half the repraps in sk that i know about with me to calgary if we move back.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2012 02:21PM
ATTENTION ATTENTION
Guys you can get away with paying $350.00 to $457.00 CND for a RepRap Prusa Mendel now but I would still use some of your PLA to make some of the Bells and whisles from thingiverse right away as soon as your Done Calibration.
Use this Video to start Calibration if your New to the 3D Printer world.Skeinforge 40+Tutorial
Keep it Up Calgary see Protospace for a place with experts in Building and Using 3D printers Robots and FreeBoS systems also almost anything else...grinning smiley
Attention Warning Warning Attention
there are still High speed problems with the Rep Rap Prusa Mendel design so I would check out Ronthomp's Frame from Thingiverse too.

for a New Frame Design from the USA that dose not involve expencive extruded aluminum channel Or Wobbly Webbly thredded Rod stock.
See Ronthop's Frame in Action Here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login