Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Welcome to Devon!

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Welcome to Devon!
November 16, 2010 08:43PM
sebastienb: Hows redbot coming along?
redwizard: its coming
sebastienb: I didn't think it'd have enough cross bracing until I saw the side panes go on. grinning smiley
redwizard: 6 gears and i should have a workable z axis
sebastienb: How are you doing the gears?
redwizard: >.< by hand using a generator
redwizard: [woodgears.ca]
sebastienb: Oh my.
sebastienb: woodgears.ca is some fellow up here in ottawa.. Must meet him some day
redwizard: it would be easier with a dividing head but as long as i fit my dremel to the dremel press and put the gear on a suitable jig it should cut the gears just fine
sebastienb: Or you could put out the call via uk rug?
sebastienb: (Not as much fun, I know.)
redwizard: rug?
sebastienb: RepRap User Group.
redwizard: ah its ok if these dont play nice i can always resort to buying some i have 2 sources of gears in a number of materails
redwizard: *materials
redwizard: well i will when i find the bit of paper with the company names on
redwizard: have you seen the latest updates?
sebastienb: Hmmm, you're nowhere near southhamtpon or sheffield, btw?
redwizard: couple hundred miles
redwizard: not really
redwizard: lol
redwizard: i'm based in north devon
sebastienb: need a dedicated RUG?
sebastienb: so, let me know if you want a devon rug. I've got the forum admin tool open right now.
redwizard: do it then grinning smiley
sebastienb: devon ?= north devon
redwizard: i'll see if i can find anyone stu-i mean smart enough to want to build a 3d printer grinning smiley
redwizard: hmmz
redwizard: devon should be fine although i'm 40 miles from nearest city
redwizard: shame my home town cant be made a city
redwizard: (no cathederal)
sebastienb: no worries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 02:06AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Welcome to Devon!
December 11, 2011 02:14AM
I live in, guess where, Brixham! What is the status of the Devon group? I am building a SumPod (http://www.3d-printer-kit.com) and close to finishing. It's all assembled and with ReplicatorG I can move the three axis.

Could do with knowing more about ReplicatorG and whether this is the best application? Also I am having a few issues such as the second time I push the direction arrow under the control panel, it repeats the last action with another axis also working. Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Mike.

P.s. I am also a model engineer (www.mikes-models.com/blog and www.mikes-models.com) so if you want any small parts in metal I am happy to help if I can. I am not a commercial enterprise and don't charge.
May 17, 2012 04:35PM
Mike,

I've just moved into the area (just outside Totnes) and have a nearly-finished Prusa waiting to be unpacked. Also a model engineer, but with a background in electronics and IT as well. Don't know anything about ReplicatorG - my testing has been with Pronterface and using Sprinter on a Sanguinololu board - but always willing to have a play! Or just to compare notes...

- Brian
June 25, 2012 11:57AM
Hello there!

I'm not sure if you guys keep an eye out next door in the West of England RUG, but in case you don't I thought I'd post here.

I'm hosting a meetup for said WoERUG in Exeter (They often meet much further north) on Saturday 28th July, and all are welcome.

I run a business based around RepRaps from Exeter, so if anyone is local to here and need some help or advice I'm always happy to help, just give me a shout.

Stewart.
June 25, 2012 12:28PM
Thanks for the info and invitation, Stewart! I actually found the thread that mentioned the meeting last weekend on the evening that it happened, so that one was just a little bit too late. However, I shall put the next one in my diary.

- Brian
June 26, 2012 06:32AM
Heard there is someone making machines in Exeter?
Anyone here, or know?
Am interested from a hobby perspective.
Kev Staddon
June 26, 2012 07:18PM
Kevin,

If you read 2 posts above yours, then you will see that there is indeed someone in Exeter. That person might just be me!

I'd be happy to help you out with any questions or such you might have, just give me a buzz.

Stewart.
June 28, 2012 05:14PM
Hi Stewart

I would be interested in attending the meeting in July. Could you give me details of when and where. I live in Tavistock

I am a Technology teacher in Plymouth. We recently bought a Rapman 3.2 3D printer. One of my students assembled it and got it running. I would now like to build a reprap, hopefully by using the Rapman to build the plastic parts. Great that there's a Devon forum for reprap !!

Huw
June 29, 2012 06:15AM
Huw, and others.

As stated, the date of the meet up is Saturday 28th July. No specific start time currently, just turn up whenever!

My address is:

Unit 30
Exeter Business Centre
39 Marsh Green Road West
Exeter
EX2 8PN

You should indeed be able to build the plastic RepRap parts on that RepMan, but if you need somewhere to source all the other parts I might just know someone that can provide them smiling smiley

Stewart.
June 30, 2012 11:10AM
Will try and get there myself
KS
July 24, 2012 06:08PM
Sorry, won't be able to come to this one as I am on Beaver Camp. I think I'm also away for the Newport one as well. I think that's the bank holiday weekend? I do have a friend who lives in Newport that I'm trying to persuade to go along in August but I'm not sure he'll go if I'm not there. I'll let you know if he's coming.

stewartstarbuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Huw, and others.
>
> As stated, the date of the meet up is Saturday
> 28th July. No specific start time currently, just
> turn up whenever!
>
> My address is:
>
> Unit 30
> Exeter Business Centre
> 39 Marsh Green Road West
> Exeter
> EX2 8PN
>
> You should indeed be able to build the plastic
> RepRap parts on that RepMan, but if you need
> somewhere to source all the other parts I might
> just know someone that can provide them smiling smiley
>
> Stewart.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
July 27, 2012 02:45PM
Hello fellow devoners!

I live about 20 miles from exeter and am looking to build myself a printer, maybe a mendel?

I made myself a 3 axis cnc machine a while back and still have the hardware for that although I doubt it'll be much use?
I've got 3 NEMA23's and I'm reading alot about 17's?

Any chance anybody here might be able to print me off a set of the printable pieces?
I'll of course pay for your time and resources smiling smiley

I'd pop along to your meet and say hello but sadly I've got work all day and a post-mid-devon-show BBQ to go to after...

All the best smiling smiley
July 28, 2012 05:18AM
Greetings snout.

I'd me more than happy to sell you a set of printed parts, along with anything else you might need. Most people go with the Prusa Mendel to start out with - it's quite probably the most common RepRap out there.

The standard setup for a Prusa is to use NEMA17 steppers - You need 5 of them for the Prusa.

Let me know if you are interested!
July 29, 2012 05:19AM
Colour me interested smiling smiley

Seems like my CNC stuff is going to be of little use, so I'm building from scratch.

I'm sure I can source the bolts, washers and threaded rod on so on from work....
Feel free to quote me happy on what else I'm gonna need to get a Prusa up and running, inc motors.

cheers for your assistance!

'Snout.
July 29, 2012 04:57PM
Stewart,
Thanks for the hospitality on Saturday, very interesting and enjoyable few hours.
From someone with nothing (me) to a builder and working machines saw a good spectrum.
Look forward to the next one.
Thanks.
Kev S
July 30, 2012 08:00PM
Snout, I've sent you a PM regarding parts.

Glad you enjoyed the meet up Kev, if you have any more questions about anything you saw feel free to ask away. I'll start organising the next one soon, and will let you know the details when I have them.
September 03, 2012 03:33PM
Hello,

I live near Ivybridge and I have recently started designing my own 3D printer.

However i would like some help on setting up a sanguinololu as i don't know how to connect it up to a computer, is there anyone who can help me?

Sorry if there is any spelling errors as i am a teenager and can't spell.

Carlie Smith
September 03, 2012 05:37PM
Carlie,

I live just south of Totnes and have now built, connected and configured a couple of Sanguinololus. Not saying that I have all the answers but I have been through all the pain of getting the Arduino software installed, downloading new images, etc. My own printer is a home-built Prusa with home-made hotend, etc, so I like to do things the hard way but you do learn a certain amount by going down that route!

Let me know if I can assist.

- Brian
September 05, 2012 06:12AM
Brian,

I became interested in 3D printers when after finding an aticle about them in a magazien, but when i found the price i decided to design my own.

I have made the Sanguinololus board but i don't know what voltage to run it on and how to set it up with a computer. can you help me with this.

I am also interested your home made hot end - is it posible that you could give me a plan for it so that i could make my own.

I live between South Brent and Buckfastleigh so north best of Totnes

-Charlie
September 05, 2012 06:15AM
north west of Totnes - sorry typping mistake
September 05, 2012 03:02PM
Charlie,

I'll start a new thread rather than clutter up the "Welcome" thread, although this one has roamed around a bit anyway!

- Brian
November 22, 2012 05:55AM
Hi
I live in Totnes and want to start building a reprap over the Christmas break, so if you are having a meeting on Saturday please let me know.
Best wishes
Jan
November 22, 2012 06:10AM
Jan,

There is a workshop planned for this Saturday. It's going to be pretty quiet though - Only two people have told me they will be able to make it. You are more than welcome to come along to that if you can get to Exeter. If you are interested let me know and I'll give you the details.

Stewart.
November 22, 2012 03:53PM
Hi Stewart

Yes, I can get to Exeter on Saturday. Is there anything I need to bring?

Regards

Jan
November 23, 2012 06:49AM
Jan,

I'm going to say at this point it's probably a better idea to not worry about coming to Exeter tomorrow. As nobody else is able to attend, and I have some pretty urgent matters to deal with, I'm afraid I simply won't be able to be at the workshop long enough to make it worthwhile.

If you are able to, then visiting at some point during the week would be a better idea. I can then spend a good few hours going over everything with you.

Stewart.
November 23, 2012 07:41AM
Unfortunately I'm one of the many(!) who can't make it to Exeter tomorrow - sorry it didn't work this time, Stewart.

However, Jan, I am only in Harbertonford, a few miles south of you, and I have a Prusa in the garage. I'm currently investigating why it isn't printing properly (extruder problem), but I would be happy to talk over the build process with you. I also have a moderately well-equipped workshop so might be able to help if you decide to build one in due course.

PM me for contact details if you are interested - happy to help spread the reprap word!

- Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login