Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starting up...

Posted by cparsons 
Starting up...
September 02, 2016 06:22AM
I am a model engineer and am toying with the idea of building a 3D printer?

I am currently converting my milling machine to CNC and have built all the electronics, and am making the hardware
to fit the stepper motors to my mill (and doing a working demo of progress so far on 9 Sep in Exeter for my local
engineering club if anyone is interested in coming along...)

...back to the original subject, having gone through a learning curve to do the above I started looking
again at the RepRap site - also partly because my office has a temporary loan of a 3D printer (CubeX, which
does not seem to be particularly well regarded?) and I thought I could use this to print the parts for a Huxley
perhaps, I can make up the stainless/threaded rods easily enough and perhaps build or buy the controller/stepper
drives?

Seems to be fairly small scale compared to my CNC project (which uses NEMA 34 stepper motors) so I thought might
be a lot cheaper - I am not really wanting to spend 500-600 UKP on one

Any thoughts? Looks like the RepRap store is closed now, but I have the build details and STL files etc and am wondering
about things like the heated bed etc? Can you get plans for this, or is there a supplier anywhere? There seems to be
a bewildering array of offerings but I prefer the DIY approach!

Regards

Chris Parsons
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login