Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RUG Meeting, 1.15.11

Posted by FrankNeon 
RUG Meeting, 1.15.11
December 13, 2010 01:33PM
The inaugural RUG meeting for Idaho will be held at the Reuseum on Jan 15th, 2011.

All meetings are open for anyone to come by and see what is going on. Whether you want to build your own printer or just have a casual interest, all are welcome.

Ideas as to what will be discussed remain pretty informal and ranged from the various ways one may arrange the hardware and software set-up, ideas for local development, and establishment of more ways to meet relatively formally for Reprap related purposes.

From a hands-on perspective, we'll have a printer (maybe two?) there and hopefully I won't be needing to do any more maintenance on it after its first short yet spectacular stint as a fully functional 3D printer (famous last words).

If you have any questions for concerns, just post here!
Re: RUG Meeting, 1.15.11
December 13, 2010 02:01PM
Forgot to mention that we'll be meeting outside of regular store hours and everyone can expect to collect at 6pm.

You can also look at www(dot)reuseum(dot)com in our workshops blog.
January 16, 2011 01:02AM
Good introductory meeting tonight. I like the talented variety of hackers, professors, and artists that showed up. Now if I can only piece together a budget and get a Mendel.
January 16, 2011 04:17PM
Same here. I was impressed by the variety - that adds so much more potential than any 1-dimensional group. And I, too, hope I can scrounge up some discretionary funds for a Mendel or other 3D printer of my own. That Dremel-based CNC is also pretty compelling, though, and has a lower cost of admission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 04:18PM by ScarletPimple.
January 16, 2011 10:39PM
I am very excited about the opportunity to learn new things. I have been reading up on RepRap and watching YouTube videos most of the day. I am interested in the CNC boot camp. It sounds like a good way to get my feet wet. I also like the idea of a build-as-you-go, co-op option for a 3D printer.

It was nice to meet everyone and I am looking forward to the next get together.

Cami
January 16, 2011 11:08PM
Regarding the CNC mill that was shown on Saturday, we'll be having the CNC boot camp in June where we'll have a group build and make this type of mill. Keep in mind, that bootstrapping a CNC with an extruder has been a great and very popular way to intro into eventually making your own RepRap (see the RepStrap sections of the forums...)

Reprap as of early 2010 did have a higher cost associated with it than it does now, becuase of the innovations with the Mendel design recently, the cost of resourcing and printing has gone down quite a bit. At the meeting we talked about combining our efforts into producing a cast aluminum batch of parts off of one reprapped set and sharing the cost, we might consider this because of the consistency of each individual's parts versus the next, and the added support factors of working on the same design together.

I've started the kits topic here so that we can discuss what designs people might prefer beyind the dremel mill at the shop...
January 24, 2011 07:15PM
I cant wait for the next meeting!!! My Mendel is coming together....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login