Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CO-OP Resourcing for Parts Kits

Posted by FrankNeon 
CO-OP Resourcing for Parts Kits
January 16, 2011 03:30PM
Discussed were several ways for us to coordinate a way for individuals to build their machines and go step by step through the process together. Several designs were out there, each as capable as the next to print with comparable quality. Does anyone have suggestions or preferences on which design to pick for resourcing?

[www.openlabidaho.org] makerspace and community lab

[www.handmadecircuits.com] DIY tinker tech and 3D printing supply

[educate.reuseum.org] community education using recycling and open-source technology
Re: CO-OP Resourcing for Parts Kits
January 16, 2011 11:10PM
What design we all agree would be most effective for us to build as a group?

Something like Ultimaker (yet to be released?)

The Sells Mendel? (proven and available)

The Prusa? (effecient and easy to build, yet to be popularly tested...)

"Other" Repstrap? ...
January 18, 2011 11:04AM
I would rate my preferences for the type of printer to build as: (lowest preference to highest)

4. Repstrap - seems to be cheaper, but is a Frankenstein-like model.

3. Ultimaker - unproven, without the Mendel user base.

2. Prusia - although cheaper and easier to build, maybe has more output quality issues (see [forums.reprap.org])

1. Sells Mendel.

Although I could be convinced to build any of the choices.

John Bischoff
January 30, 2011 03:14AM
I think sticking to the Parent "Mendel" Build would be best,

As well as adopting some of the proven improvements to the design, like:

1. Wades extruder, or one proven more efficient
2. Nophead's general Mendel improvements
3. Nichrome / Resistor Hot Bed
4. Other Thingiverse Structurally Improved Parts
5. Generation 6 Electronics, which integrate everything onto one board, saving space and money (But are currently only in the UK)

Parts Sourcing-

I know that we are able to get MDF thick and thin sheet parts from the Reuseum,

Its been discussed the possibility of casting aluminum reprap printed parts

It would be great to get 4-5mm thick Aluminum beds, or find a shop that can make them (would help adopt heated beds)

Hardware can be sourced locally, and for allot cheaper.... I Personally got it all from Mcmaster and spent $$$ (face/palm)

Whats Evident

Rep-rappers are going to do what they want with their machines, since no 2 rep raps are the same.... Their will be variation from the original design in some aspects...
January 30, 2011 12:21PM
@Vis0r -We got some 1/4" aluminum 21cm squares at the Reuseum as well for anyone who wants to collaborate on making heated beds. Available to only those who know the secret handshake... winking smiley
February 27, 2011 05:50PM
I've just resourced a batch of printed RP parts, and am ready to donate their use to clone into a RUG-wide batch of parts. As we'd discussed previously, we'll keep it to "at cost" so that we can lower the cost.

Please let me know if you are interested!

-D
March 02, 2011 08:51PM
Hey Dave,

I'm officially 'all in' for piecing together a Mendel for myself or whatever we decide to put together. I could put in about $40/month and meet once a month. What's the next step? Who else is committed to meeting once a month to assemble parts as we have them?

-Andy Perkins
March 02, 2011 11:40PM
@Andy We'll need to make a register down at the shop for those that would like to be in on a batch method and group build. I'll get it going and hopefully I'll see you soon in order to discuss further. I hope this is going to work out, I'm excited!
March 10, 2011 06:55PM
Alright, I've signed up and paid for the RUG Parts Cast Build Party. Dave, Is there anyplace you can keep a counter of how many (and maybe who?) has signed up for their parts? I'm wishing we had 10 people signed up right now so we can get this thing started!

It's time to get off the fence folks. This is like being one of the first people to own a personal computer, only better.
March 18, 2011 10:30AM
AndyP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>This is
> like being one of the first people to own a
> personal computer, only better.

All signed up and excited! When are we gettin this thing going?
March 18, 2011 11:36AM
The rubber shipped last week once we got the minimum number of people to help pay for it. Next step is molding my pieces, and then we cast the parts!
March 19, 2011 03:23PM
Where is the "LIKE" button....Sounds great. Looking forward to making my own parts. smiling smiley
April 16, 2011 12:49PM
Hey Dave,

Any update on a possible date for molding our parts? No rush, as I'm tied up until after Easter weekend.

I'm starting to think about the electronics and the RAMPS looks like the direction I'll go. Does anybody have experience with RAMPS or Gen6?

Andy P.
April 16, 2011 01:20PM
Andy,

Yeah we've just completed the molds, so people will be given the opportunity to come and make their casts in order of registration. I believe you are second. The molds need to be removed from the pieces and I will start moving people through the castings. Each set takes about 2 hours to fully set. so we should be able to fit a couple people in a weekend.

Concerning RAMPS, I've bought a set to use on my next machine. Lots of firmware supports RAMPS and I've been working through the initial set up and calibration for Tonokip and Klimentkip firmware for it. You might check out the wiki page.
May 03, 2011 09:27AM
My molded parts came out well! Now I'm loving them by cleaning them up with an x-acto knife. Drilling holes is next.

Here are some pictures of the molding process. Thanks for setting this up Dave!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theeternalstudent/5683177443/

I was also able to get all of the nuts and bolts (minus extruder stuff) for about $15 from Industrial Hardware. Dave has a BOM you can email them and they will put it together. I used regular nuts and medium loctite instead of the nylon lock nuts.

-Andy P.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login