Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen7 Success/Lessons?

Posted by AndyP 
Gen7 Success/Lessons?
April 27, 2011 03:43PM
Alright, I think I've settled on going with Gen7 for the electronics. Anybody local to Boise want to help me out and share their experience with it? I'm thinking of etching the board with a photoresist, but would also be interested in trying a CNC or Sharpie approach if somebody has had success with this.

If there are others out there who are at this stage or curious as well, perhaps we can get together one night at the Reuseum and chat.

I also want to put in a heated bed right from the start and am interested in advice on that.

-Andy P.
Re: Gen7 Success/Lessons?
May 04, 2011 09:59PM
You are building a Sells Mendel, right? If so, i'd recommend going with 1/4" aluminum for the platform. Make sure you thermally isolate it from the plastic parts. Its really preference in the end, but i think 1/4" is best. Although thinner will make it easier for your steppers to move and will minimize backlash as well.
You will have to choose your heating element as well. I am currently using some "Aluminum heat sinked resistors" i got from the Reuseum. I am using a Pseudo-temperature controller wired up to 110VAC. 5 resistors in series. Im running about 2 Amps through the bed at 110VAC. It heats up pretty quick.
1/4" Alum Heated Bed with Sinked Resistors
The temperature controller is independent (I think you saw this at the last RUG meet) and is wired to a Thermocouple which takes the temperature measurements.
I would really recommend an independant temperature controller as this will make it easier to control the bed without having to modify Skeinforge or GCode. Also this will prevent your brain board from having to handle even more current increasing the chance that it becomes damaged/sloded!
I wouldn't recommend heavy platforms for a Prusa. Its just not as rugged.

....I dont think im missing anything. Hope this information helps. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login