Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Group Order for Parts

Posted by AndyP 
Group Order for Parts
May 08, 2011 07:56PM
I'm putting together an order for www.thingfarm.org/namerica and was wondering anybody else wanted to order some and split shipping costs. I got most of my frame together this weekend and am now looking to buy my belts ($25), bearings ($32), nema 17 motors ($15 each), and a wade's extruder ($9).

Let me know by Friday the 13th if you want to place an order with me. I chose thingfarm/namerica over ultimachine because it is cheaper and all the parts are in stock.

Thanks,
Andy P.

Concerning the molded parts from nophead's master parts:
- drilling the missing holes with a drill press wasn't too bad. My drill bit wasn't long enough to go all the way through some of parts so I had to do half from each end, but I was able to align well enough to make a passable hole for the rods. Some of the angled holes were difficult, but I did manage to get them close enough.
-The bearing slots for the x-axis is missing on some parts. I need to see a printed part to know exactly how to mill out hte bearing hole.
- some of the nuts are supposed to be embedded into the plastic. I took a soldering iron and held it against the nut until it became hot and went into the plastic.
-I'm pleased with the construction so far and am glad we went with the molded parts for a group build.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 11:04AM by AndyP.
Re: Group Order for Parts
May 09, 2011 01:09PM
Hey Andy,

I'd like to buy in for a bearings set, so just let me know where I can send the funds!

Regarding holes in the parts, apologies for not going over that with you when you picked up your pieces. I drew a spot on Jim's pieces to mark the cuts and described how I would cut them using a drill press. If you like, I'll help you make sure those bores are the right size.
May 10, 2011 12:56PM
Andy, I probably want to get in on that order as well, would Paypal work for you?

-Jim
May 10, 2011 01:03PM
Paypal works for me. My email is '[email protected]'. You should be able to use that through Paypal. I will wait until Saturday morning before making the order in case anybody else wants in. I think shipping cost will be around $40 which we will split between however many people get in on the order. It will ship to my house and then I will take the goods to the Reuseum where you can pick it up. Sound good?
May 12, 2011 09:49AM
Jim, Do you know what you want to order?
May 12, 2011 01:08PM
Nope. smiling smiley I need everything, did you get your frame all put together locally for less than thingfarm's frame kit? Also How many nema motors do we need? Just 2? If I can get the frame locally than I probably just want to do the
Bearings kit, Belt kit, extruder (what's with the Wade's extruder? Are we sure it works?)
and x-amount of motors. So yeah, basically your same order smiling smiley Let me know and I'll get the money to you ASAP.
Thanks

-Jim
May 12, 2011 01:19PM
In Hindsight, and after reading Andy's post about the frame materials I might opt to spend the extra $ for a frame from ThingFarm, I'm pretty limited on the amount of time I have to spend so I think it might be worth it for me to save the trip to the hardware store, cut a bunch of rods, find out I cut one the wrong length, go buy a replacement...etc etc. In which case the whole structure/motion kit is $145 and then however many motors we need plus the extruder. That's probably what I would order, I appreciate splitting the shipping cost with you Andy/Dave (and whomever else) let me know what your thoughts are,

-Jim
May 12, 2011 04:43PM
Jim, go ahead and buy the structure/motion kit if you think you won't find any pleasure in treasure hunting the parts and obsessing over them. You'll have plenty of other things to obsess over as we build. I believe we need 4 Nema motors, 3 for x/y/z movement and 1 for the extruder. The electronics, wood/metal bed (called thick sheet), and a hot end are still to be obtained.

Make your list for thingfarm and then send me a paypal payment at '[email protected]' by Friday evening if you can.

-Andy P.
May 13, 2011 09:01AM
Jim, I ordered everything pre-cut myself, made my first build faster. Maybe on a personal version I will cut everything myself.

Yes, 4 motors are needed on the Mendel and the improved Z version of the Prusa.

Don't forget end-stops. Min of 3 is required but if you want to control both min and max travel you will need a total of 6. My first build was opto (dont recommend, they blow easy depending on the version and type). I am in the process of switching to mechanical with an adjustment screw instead of moving the entire stop, this allows for better adjustment of zero on the Z-Axis.

Belt tensiors are recommended (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8332). Once I get my prusa put back together I will be printing some for my Mendels.

Happy Mendel Building,
Kevin
May 14, 2011 06:28PM
Hi Andy,

I have double checked my current end of the semester bank account and I will not be able to buy in on parts until a month from now when my lab pay kicks in. I do however appreciate you doing all the foot work on putting this order together and looking into thread rod etc.

I will just have to watch you guys start putting things together and take good notes until the cash god is smiling upon me once again.

So summary, I will not be on this order, but thank you,

Cami
May 16, 2011 11:36AM
Okay. I'm sure we will be making orders from Thingfarm or Ultimachine again in the near future.

Get ready for an electronics order for Gen7! I'm hoping that is only 2-3 weeks away.
May 16, 2011 12:02PM
Speaking of GEN7, I'll be going through the BOM to see what is available at the Reuseum, and what might need to be ordered from Digikey. I'll post it once I get it figured out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login