Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Techzone Huxley redesigned / modified parts.

Posted by DeuxVis 
Techzone Huxley redesigned / modified parts.
October 22, 2011 09:11AM
I'm starting to remake (the techzone provided STL are not always clean) and/or hack some parts for my Huxley.

I will list them here. Let me know if you try them, have a comment, suggestion, anything.

Extruder gears - [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 09:10AM by DeuxVis.
Re: Techzone Huxley redesigned / modified parts.
November 27, 2011 09:09AM
Added the bowden clamps - I believe some of their dimensions are specific to Techzone's Huxley ?

February 08, 2012 09:49AM
Added a new version of the bowden clamps, which use push-fit easy connectors like the ultimaker. At last something reliable on the bowden attachment front ! smileys with beer

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.

February 08, 2012 11:13AM
Added a replacement for X carriage that will allow mounting of a peek-block attached hotend, and use lm6uu linear bearings instead of the single bronze bushing that got sticky for me after a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 05:00PM by DeuxVis.

February 11, 2012 11:33PM
I am following your progress. My techzone Huxley desperately needs these improvements. Keep up the good work.
February 12, 2012 10:05AM
Thanks. With those changes, my Huxley is now considered "somewhat reliable" instead of "absolutely crappy".

I am probably not going to invest a lot of time into improvements for her in the next weeks, as my next goal is to build another machine : A "Prism" Mendel derivative, design by Buback. The improved Huxley has been working good enough to print all the parts needed already smiling smiley

February 12, 2012 09:03PM
I definitely like the bowden clamps and the new x carriage. I wonder if that x carriage would fit 1/4 linear bushings. It may be a little easier for me to get 3 of those and not replace the smooth bars since I'm in the US.

What electronics/software are using for your Huxley?
February 12, 2012 09:07PM
Also, where did you get your 6mm smooth rods to replace the stock ones?
February 13, 2012 02:21AM
About 1/4 linear bushings, what is the external diameter ? The lm6uu have 12mm and length 19mm, they have some little play on my printed carriage so it could work with slightly bigger dimensions. You can still hack the openscad file if it doesn't fit.

I use the stock Monotronics that Techzone sells with the kit. No modifications yet, it works good enough - although quite noisy as it can only half stepping drive the motors.
When the 2nd machine is ready I will probably experiment with changing firmware on the monotronics, but that needs hardware mods.

I bought the 6mm smooth rods from paoparts.com - same town I live in, saves on shipping.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 02:33AM by DeuxVis.

March 02, 2012 07:01AM
New entry, not a modified part, but a "modified" slic3r : [forums.reprap.org]

This is a post processing script that allows to use Slic3r gcode on the Techzone Huxley.
Still experimental, would love to get some feedback from testers.

July 11, 2012 06:26AM
Dear DeuxVis:
Do you have the Mendel parts drawing which can be edited by Solidworks?
July 11, 2012 08:13AM
I'm sorry, could you be more specific please, drawing of which parts ?

But well I have no native files for solidworks anyway. Got some STLs, that you may probably open in solidworks.

August 05, 2012 06:16PM
This may sound short sighted and newbish, But if it is the connections of the driver chip, (assuming a bad connection) might I be able to use my heat gun to re-seat the chip? Honestly, what do I have to lose? I'm assuming I may just need to order new electronics from them anyway. X and Z work great, Just that pesky Y is over-heating.
August 06, 2012 11:01AM
Yes you can try that heatgun operation.

If it fails and you end up changing the whole board, I wouldn't recommend getting the same electronics then (unless techzone are still willing to replace it for free).
There are a lot of others more modern solutions which doesn't have the same flaws (noisy shaky motors due to only half stepping, stuck at a very old firmware because of special hotend daughter board...).

August 09, 2012 01:40AM
From what I can tell (trying to visit techzonecom.com) - they're gone now anyway, but DuexVis is right - RAMPS, Sanguinololu, Teensylu, or Printrboard are all far superior electronics.
August 09, 2012 04:02AM
Aaaye, don't forget to mention Gen7 or Traumflug will make you learn the hard way ! He has a whip !

grinning smiley

@Raldrich- I can confirm that the Techzone site is down. The last Better Business Bureau registration they filed was in 2011. There were complaints about quality, and about documentation compliance from within the community.

@DeuxVis- I plan to use gen7 electronics. The basic frame and mechanics of the TZ Huxley look sound. I started reading the blogs before actually completing my kit. It has been sitting in the box for over a year.

-Phuzzy
September 20, 2012 04:15AM
As Phuzzy mentioned it could be used for easy attaching a jhead hotend to the TZ Huxley, here are some redesigned parts I didn't publish before :

First one is a hotend clamp I made to attach a Mendel parts V5 hotend. Warning, it's a bad idea to drill your XCarriage like I did to mount it, it may fold/twist.

TZHuxleyTipClamp_MendelPartsHotEndV5.scad
TZHuxleyTipClamp_MendelPartsHotEndV5.stl

The second one is just a recreation in openscad format of the original TZ Huxley hotend clamp. Maybe be useful for hacking.
TZHuxleyTipClamp_remake.scad

Those parts are work in progress, can't promise it will work for you as-is.

Attachments:
open | download - TZHuxleyTipClamp_MendelPartsHotEndV5.png (67.7 KB)
October 21, 2012 02:31PM
Forgot to mention that discussion place : [forums.reprap.org]

December 31, 2012 04:42PM
DeuxVis I am also following your progress. I've followed your posts on this forum for a while now. You pretty much made the techzone usable.
January 11, 2013 06:12AM
Thanks.

My next step, as soon I can find some time to give that machine, is to change the electronics. The original one is too limiting (I want to add a sd card, multiple fans etc)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login