Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Start up settings

Posted by ajm11 
Start up settings
March 24, 2011 01:45AM
Can someone give me an idea of start up settings. I have a techzone huxley running repsnapper with abs (may switch to pla soon). Here are the questions:

-How far do you setthe tip of the extruder from the print plate at your z home?
-How do you get the stuff to stick to the plate, mine just gobs out and drags around.
-What does the extrusion multiplier do?
-What should my print speeds be around?
-Whats the print margin?
-Whats acceleration?

Im sure this info is somewhere but I have searched for hours.

Thanks,
Amos
Re: Start up settings
March 24, 2011 07:10AM
ajm11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -How far do you set the tip of the extruder from the print plate at your z home?
Should be about .2mm, as you should also set your layers to .4mm. At .2mm this will make the plastic stick to the bed.

> -How do you get the stuff to stick to the plate, mine just gobs out and drags around.
You can use blue builders tape or "Kapton" Polyimide adhesive film. Also so you could use a heated bed (60C for PLA and 110C for ABS) then you could print on to glass with no tape.

> -What does the extrusion multiplier do?
What this does is allowes to you speed up or slow down the extruder, but I found you don't need to use it if you set the flow of he extruder correct first off

> -What should my print speeds be around
This is a setting you need to play with as each printer is diffrent, but as a starting place try, speed 1938 and lenght 65. Make sure you set the Z axis speed to about 300mm/s or higher if your motor can take it. This will help in stopping blobbs at the corner

> -Whats the print margin?
This is where the print will start from so it don't crash into the printplate bolts. If you use countersunk bolts you can set it colse to the edges.

> -Whats acceleration?
If allows you to speed up the print BUT I would not use it as it could be just too fast for the old little HUXLEY.

I hope this help. What you need to do is match the flow rate of the extruder with the speed of x and y, set the z to 300-350mm/s, once you can extrude a good even and steady steam of plastic try and print a small test block say 30x30x5mm. once you have a good looking print you can start to paly with he speed.

I hope this helps and you get some good parts.
Auzze
March 26, 2011 12:06AM
Got enough to stick to print our first thing. It certainly was tested the night afterwards as we celebrated. Definitely going to tighten up the infill. Also got to solve the ooze issue associated with the bowden cable.
Attachments:
open | download - first opener.jpg (256.8 KB)
March 26, 2011 02:29AM
thanks for the general idea for the settings, i will be in need of them soon too i think.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login