Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X, Y, Z Home position not over build area

Posted by Wilbertcs 
X, Y, Z Home position not over build area
September 04, 2012 06:34AM
HI,

I have a RepRapPro Huxley and all is well. smiling smiley

But i do have one question that i'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

When i hit the 'Home' button in pronterface, the X, Y and Z axis all move to their relevant end stops, however this places the nozzle about 10mm ( in the X & Y directions ) outside the heated bed.

All the end stops are in their correct positions.

This isn't really an issue but i'm just wondering if its normal or i've not set something correctly, an offset or something like that.

Thanks
Re: X, Y, Z Home position not over build area
September 04, 2012 08:17AM
This is a good idea to have the home position off the bed. It enables you to purge the extruder if you want without it falling on the heated bed and it gives you the option of warming up the extruder off the heated bed surface at 0,0,0

There is an additonal benefit in that you can have a negative Z axis end stop below the Z height of the bed. You home slightly below the bed height to set the datum, then index up a known amount and then reset the Z datum to zero. You adjust the up index value until you get the first layer height just right. Its much easier than trying to adjust the end stop manually.

It will be more accurate than using a positive Z axis datum, but there are many machines using either method.
Re: X, Y, Z Home position not over build area
September 04, 2012 09:51AM
I thought there must be a good reason(s). smiling smiley and yes it makes a lot of sense. I did think clearing the nozzle would be a problem if it was over the bed which is why i wasn't really concerned.

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login